Clubs on Clubs on Clubs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

We all know the Northwestern stereotype:  a little too ambitious for our own good. That is how I know so many of you are completely overwhelmed by the Activities Fair this last week.  Not only is your inbox being bombarded by emails from all the clubs you signed up for, but you also have no idea which ones to actually join.  So, in case you are having a hard time deciding or couldn’t make it to the activities fair, here are some hidden gems!

Why yes, Emma, yes it is.

Scene + Heard

Scene and Heard is an online magazine that focuses on arts and culture.  If you were that stylin’ kid in high school who always knew what was up in the music, theatre, food, and art world, you’d love this publication.  They are basically the living cultural calendar for all the cool artsy things on campus, in Evanston and even in Chicago.  As Aliza Abarbanel so eloquently said, “We started Scene+Heard last spring, and it’s been a labor of love since then. It’s truly made up of a group of people that are passionate about so many things, and are so excited to share our passions with other people. Watching us grow is so exciting, because it means other people care about this as well.”

Sailing

You saw them workin’ the spandex jumpsuits at the activities fair.  This group sails their way through the year with popular events like “Sail with a Sailor”, and you don’t even need to know how to sail to join!  They welcome all levels of expertise, so if you think it looks cool and want to join a family, definitely check out this group!  Sophomore Nina Seminara told me that, “Before last September, I had never even stepped foot on a sailboat, and now just a year later I have a new set of skills, a new vernacular, and most importantly, a whole new family. Never in my life have I experienced a more welcoming group of people or an environment more conducive to learning.”

NSTV

Are you a writer, director, cinematographer, editor, actor, or just a really funny person?  NSTV is for all of you fabulously talented people!  It is a student written, directed and produced sketch comedy group.  All sketches are filmed and have a premier where some are even performed live.  This college EMMY award-winning comedy group will win your laughs and heart.  Lizzie Frieder, a sophomore in the group, said, “I’m a huge SNL/comedy nerd and I was looking to do something like that in college so I wrote about NSTV in my application to NU. It’s a really collaborative environment, and I felt really included because the upperclassmen do a lot of things outside of sets and meetings to help everyone bond.”

Global Engagement Summit

This one is for all you future change-makers out there. GES is the epitome of a Northwestern student group; their focus is to propagate your passion for change and to cultivate the skills you need in order to take action.  GES has weekly meetings as well as a five-day seminar where you meet amazing people from all over the world.  Junior Ryan Kenney, who serves as the co-chair of community development, shared, “To me, GES has been an irreplaceable source of inspiration, friendship, and passion because of the opportunity to work alongside our unique, engaged, capable community of students, both staffers and delegates alike. I always look forward to our weekly meetings not only to see some of my best friends, but also because I know that I am contributing to an effort much greater than myself aimed squarely at making the world a better place for all.”

Camp Kesem

Are you super into philanthropy and being a selfless person?  Join Camp Kesem, a group that hosts kids who have been affected by a parent’s cancer.  This club involves its members in the entire process from beginning to end, and the hours you put into it have a tangible end goal.  That goal is the week long camp the week after school ends takes place, so what better way to start off summer than taking part of such a rewarding experience.  Sophomore Teresa Balistreri included that, “It also gives counselors the chance to remember how fun and carefree childhood should be. Camp Kesem Northwestern is unique in that it’s a smaller community of people so everyone is really passionate about the cause and it’s a tight knit group.”

Happiness Club

CLAP ALONG IF YOU FEEL LIKE HAPPINESS IS THE TRUTH.  These people bring PUPPES to campus during finals week and hand out CANDY at the library.  While their work is adorable, it’s also incredibly important.  Finals week gets crazy stressful and these small acts promote good mental health in the midst of the most stressful times at Northwestern.  Kody Keckler, sophomore in the group commented, “Since our sole goal is to spread happiness on campus, the members of Happiness Club tend to be some of the most upbeat students who generally have an optimistic outlook on life. It’s hard to go to a meeting or event and not come out in a great mood.”

Her Campus

Last, but OF COURSE not least, yours truly, Her Campus Northwestern!  This is a great way to immerse yourself in literally every aspect of campus.  We allow our writers to express their passion through writing about anything their heart desires!  Fashion, events, news, and interviewing kick butt people at Northwestern are our fortes, and we LOVE doing it.  I have personally learned so much through Her Campus, not only about Northwestern, but also about myself.  Now bow down everybody to our fearless leader, Emma Tyler, who wants you to know that, “I love being a part of a publication that allows me to write about things that matter to women and things that matter to me personally. Not to mention, I get to hang out with a team of totally amazing ladies week after week.”  Preach.  And please join us.

Lina Hebert

Northwestern

Lina Hebert is a rising junior at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.  She is currently majoring in pyschology with the intention of going into marketing.  Through Her Campus and other organizations, she has gained valuable experience with writing, social media and event planning.  However, Lina's interests are not only limited to psychology and marketing; she was the fourth spoon from the left in Beauty and the Beast at age ten.  She is an inspired and devoted student, learner, blogger and nutella enthusiast.