Chicagoland Summer Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Whether you’re staying in Evanston to take summer classes or are working at a big city internship, Northwestern students always seem to hang around Chicagoland in the summer. So to keep life fun and exciting this summer in the Chi, here is a guide to all the city has to offer when the weather gets hot.

Eats

The Taste of Chicago is a definite must for anyone in the area this summer. Instead of running all over the city looking for the best food, try it all in one place.

If you’re looking to splurge, you need to hit up Chicago’s current “it “ restaurant, Girl & the Goat. If you’re working this summer, blow one of your paychecks with your girlfriends by eating some of the best food Chicago has to offer.

Looking for a quick bite? Try the hip and delicious M Burger downtown around Water Tower. Their namesake burger is to die for.

Try a fro-yo tour of Chicago. Suggestions include Forever Yogurt and Pinkberry.

Fun

As touristy as it is, there’s nothing better than Navy Pier in the summer. Ride the Ferris wheel, hit up the beer garden, or take a speedboat ride on the Sea Dog.

Take yourself out to the ball game and see the Chicago Cubs play at Wrigley. No offense to the White Sox, but Wrigley is just an awesome, historic park to see in the summer.

Michigan Avenue is great for shopping, but go off the beaten path and try out the quirky thrift stores and army surplus shops along Belmont.

Music

Lollapalooza. No explanation needed.

A combination of food and music define Chicago’s Ribfest in June. Rowdy live music and pounds of ribs combine for a great summer experience.

Check out the Grant Park Music Festival and switch it up for some relaxing classical music.

Emma Tyler

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo