This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Dillo season is approaching.   While we were all doing our crunches and planks to get ready for the day of cut offs and crop tops, Mayfest announced the daytime headliner, Chance the Rapper.   For those of you who aren’t familiar with his music, fear not – we’ve put together a beginner’s guide so you can be singing along by Dillo. 

The Vibe

Chance the Rapper’s music can go from the library to the party.  While his pace and tone are chill, the underlying beats are good enough to get down to.  He definitely has soul, and though it may take a couple of listens to pick up, his lyrics are super-relatable.  

You’ll love him if you love…

Childish Gambino, Earl Sweatshirt, and Vic Mensa

So, where do I get started? 

“Good Ass Intro” should definitely be your first listen; this is the one everyone will be singing along to.  Then, move on to “Favorite Song” featuring my personal favorite Childish Gambino.  “Cocoa Butter Kisses” and “Juice” can also give you a really good idea of his style. 

Most importantly, what do I wear?

Chance the Rapper is all about color!  The music video to “Good Ass Intro” is full of psychedelic illustrations, so follow his cue with a bright printed top and neon kicks.  Cut-off denim (a Dillo staple) and earthy accessories play into his more chill side.  

Photo Credit (from top to bottom and left to right) 1 2 3 4 5 ​6

Julia Cohen

Northwestern

Julia is a wannabe Upper East Side socialite from Long Island, New York.  In her free time, she enjoys suffering through Blogilates, thinking of creative ways to use her blender, and fantasizing on the Lily Pulitzer website.  She hopes to use Her Campus as an outlet for her sassy wisdom, and she wants to let everyone reading her articles know that she loves them and wishes she could hand-deliver them all chocolate.