This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

If you’re looking to get spooked this Halloween, why not spend some time with misunderstood, telekinetic Carrie White? A modern remake of the 1976 adaptation of Stephen King’s Carrie was recently released, and in the spirit of Halloween, I decided to compare the two.

The two versions are actually extremely similar, with almost exactly the same dialogue. They both depict themes of bullying, taking things to extremes, revenge and superstition. And in the end, Carrie’s experiences help teach a very important lesson about acceptance and the dangers of pushing people to their limits. This is especially poignant in today’s world fraught with too many forms of hate crimes.

For me, the 2013 edition is a little bit scarier. Julianne Moore plays Carrie’s (Chloë Grace Moretz) super Christian mother, and adds an extra freaky edge, as well as a little more depth, to the character originally played by Piper Laurie. The new version is also bloodier, which, in my opinion, made it creepier. The update seemed a little more relatable, like when Carrie is both teased at school and cyberbullied; the original is definitely a ’70s movie, and the clothes, corny sound effects, filming style and extra obvious foreshadowing make sure you don’t forget it.

After watching both movies, I’m more partial to the new one. Classic film buffs might be offended at this, but I’m easily seduced by realistic graphics and perfectly polished cinematography. Also, Chloë Grace Moretz is hands-down one of my favorite people. Don’t let me sway you, though – go check out Carrie in theaters (the 2013 version) or on Netflix Instant (the 1976 version) and decide for yourself who wears a bucket of pig’s blood better!

Sources:

• dailygrindhouse.com
  • yianniscove.com
  • totalfilm.com
Andrea Park

Northwestern

Andrea Park is a southern girl making her way in the freezing midwest, with the help of her trusty North Face parka, multiple layers of colorful socks and an obscene amount of salted caramel mochas.