Campus Celebrity: Sarah Suh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Sarah Suh
Year: Junior
Hometown: Buffalo Grove, IL
Major: Biology
Claim to Fame: Outgoing President of Campus Kitchens at Northwestern (CKNU), Recipient of Sodexo STOP Hunger Award for Her Work for CKNU

What is Campus Kitchens at Northwestern and what does it do?
CKNU is a student-powered hunger relief organization at Northwestern.  We take the unused food from dining halls and local restaurants, repackage them into nutritious meals, and deliver them to our clients in Evanston (as well as some parts of Chicago).  We also strive to increase the awareness of hunger and food waste among students and community members by implementing fun and educational programming events throughout the school year.

What inspired you to join CKNU?
I joined CKNU my freshman year through a volunteer fair because I was inspired by the creative, sustainable, and impactful way in which the organization worked to address hunger in Evanston.  I didn’t realize at the time that many residents in Evanston are food insecure, so I was mainly driven by curiosity and wanted to find out more about how students can help solve hunger and poverty in our own community.  Ever since I joined, I have been extremely humbled and privileged to have partaken in such meaningful work and am grateful for the experiences I have had.  

What is the Sodexo-STOP Hunger Award?
The Sodexo-STOP Hunger Award recognizes and rewards students who have made significant volunteer efforts to help eradicate hunger in America.  It was founded by Sodexo’s former president, Mr. Stephen J. Brady, who worked extremely hard to fight hunger.  Recipients receive $10,000: half of which will go towards the student’s tuition and the other half of which will go towards the student’s hunger-relief charity of choice.  

Which hunger relief organization do you plan on presenting the $5,000 grant in your name as part of the STOP Hunger Award?
Campus Kitchens! :)

What is your favorite part of CKNU?
The delivery shifts!  I have made some incredible memories with our clients, who are warm, cheerful, and affectionate every time I visit their homes.  One of our clients, for instance, graduated from Stanford University, became a navy man, and after his service became a priest.  With much life experience ahead of the volunteers that visit his home every week, he always shares stories and wisdom about how to get the most amount of life now and in the future.  I think that it was through these meaningful relationships that I have learned to love the life that we all share and show gratitude for the little things that make up our world!

What else are you involved with on campus?
In addition to Campus Kitchens, I am a Sheil Catholic Scholar, an undergraduate researcher at Feinberg, a member of Chi Omega, and a Gateway Science Workshop facilitator.     

Do you have any female role models?
My mom!  I am always inspired by the work that she does as a registered nurse.  She cares for hundreds of patients every week, and she always puts the needs of others above hers.  My mom taught me the importance of giving back to the community and has been constantly supportive of everything that I do. 

Michell Kim

Northwestern

Hi, I'm Michell and I'm a sophomore at Northwestern University!