The Bachelorette Premiere Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

For the first time in “The Bachelorette” history, they have two bachelorettes: Kaitlyn and Britt.  For the first time in “The Bachelorette” history, the 25 men have to choose the woman they want to pursue for the rest of the season on the first nightthe tables have turned.

Going into the premiere I was on Team Kaitlyn because I wasn’t a fan of all the drama that Britt caused on Chris’s season, but throughout the episode, I felt bad for both girls. It reminded me of the quarter quell in Catching Fire: the winners have to go in and compete once again. Kaitlyn was already crying during the limo scene. That’s so wrong. 

Overall, here are some of my thoughts on tonight’s epsisode:

Standout contestants

Joshua the welder from Idaho : I definitely got some Chris Soules vibe from this small-town gentleman. But, the fact that he hangs out with horses and welds beautiful metal roses shows he has a delicate side. 

Ian the Princeton Runner: I LOVED the fact that at the moment when Kaitlyn was feeling bad about how all the guys were giving Brittany attention, this stud walked out of the limo and whispered in her ear that he was only here for her.

Shawn B: When he said meeting Kaitlyn was “love at first sight” I was kind of creeped out. But when she almost reciprocated those same first impression feelings, I kind of wished Kaitlyn wouldn’t become the bachelorette so that she and Shawn B could elope and live happily ever after.

Shawn E: The “amateur sex coach.” I think “The Bachelorette” producers needed to fill in the ‘random occupation’ quota for their contestants (recall dog-lover and free-spirit?)  I thought the hot tub car was pretty freaking awesome, and I felt bad really drunk Ryan had to come in and ruin it. Bottom line: his occupation is what got him on the show.

Lingering Questions

Since the really drunk guy was booted off before the roses were counted, if there was a tie, how would a tie-breaker happen?

WHO IS THE BACHELORETTE? I hate cliff hangers. Kaitlyn’s ‘knock-knock’ joke still holds true: “Knock, knock? Who’s there? Two bachelorettes. Two bachelorettes who?”

Pictures from http://abc.go.com/shows/the-bachelorette