Amanda Bossard ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Birthday: December 5, 1991
Hometown: Emerson, New Jersey
Major(s): Journalism and Political Science
Relationship status: Single

Likes: food, the color pink, Audrey Hepburn, dancing, Snickers, Kellogg studies
Dislikes: sandals with socks, passive-aggressiveness, getting caught in the rain without an umbrella

What do you look for in a guy?
I look for personality. I think being able to communicate your thoughts effectively is definitely important. I like to laugh, and I like people who make me laugh. I like someone who is straight-forward, honest, and who really appreciates the little romantic things and can pick up on that. Behind all the sarcasm, I’m a huge romantic so I like someone who can figure that out and then acts on that.

What’s your favorite thing about Northwestern?
The campus. I love going out to the lakefill when it’s pretty out, which unfortunately I haven’t been able to do much this year. Also, I like to walk up the little path with all the painted rocks. I like to read all the cute things written on them  – it’s a casual hobby of mine. I really like the food in Evanston, too.

What are you involved in on campus?
I am in the Delta Delta Delta sorority – haha, Tridelt. I am also on the video desk for The Daily Northwestern. I am in the Society of Professional Journalists, as well as the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. 

Oh, you’re Hispanic?
Yeah, my mom is from Cuba. I know I don’t look it, but I’m actually 50% Cuban.

And you do a lot of journalism stuff – how are you enjoying that?
Yeah, I’m majoring in broadcast journalism. I actually just got back from Washington D.C. where I was reporting on Capitol Hill. It was a surreal experience. I got to be face-to-face with the big time leaders of our country. Vice-President Joe Biden spoke to me directly – it made the whole experience totally worth it.

Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.