Alejandro Valdivieso ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Alejandro Valdivieso
Major: Communication studies, Psychology, IMC certificate
Hometown: Chicago, IL
Birthday: December 28, 1991
Campus Living: CRC
Relationship Status: Single
Interested in: Men

Guilty Pleasures:
My guilty pleasures are centered on comic books and exotic foods. I’m especially fond of the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes and I like any food with Chalula hot sauce. Also, I love bad hipster music and the Beetles. And old cartoon shows – especially Scooby-Doo.

Pet Peeves: 
I can’t stand terrible music, including Chris Brown and the Black Eyed Peas, and I hate having nothing to do!

What are you involved with on campus?
I am involved in a number of marketing clubs and groups. I am the PR chair of Delta Chi, and I’m also director of marketing for North By Northwestern, director of marketing strategy for ISBE, and social chair for my residence hall. I am part of the promotional team for A&O, and I am part of the a cappella group ShireiNU, though I am not Jewish myself. I work as a marketing assistant for a company downtown called Capsim Management Simulations.

What are your future career goals?
I think I would like to spend the next 10 of 15 years in the advertising world. Afterwards, I hope to delve into child psychology.

What’s your idea of a perfect date?
First we would start off by going to a really interesting show in Chicago – theater or film – then we would go to dinner and play arcade games at Dave & Busters in downtown Chicago. Finally, to top the night off, we would take a romantic walk Albion Beach near the Loyola Red Line.

Where’s your favorite place to visit?
My favorite place was living in the Bahamas for a week on a boat with my best friends. It was fun because I couldn’t swim, so I had to wear a life jacket the whole time, but I got to steer the boat to different islands.

How would you describe your sense of style?
My sense of style is a combination of Urban Outfitters and novelty t-shirts, so I usually wear something like plaid shoes with a Scooby-Doo shirt on a normal day.

Favorite NU tradition:
Dillo Day.

Words he lives by:
I have two quotes that I live my life by. The first is from John Lennon. “If someone thinks that peace and love are just a cliché that must have been left behind in the 60s, that’s a problem. Peace and love are eternal.” My second favorite quote is from the last line of the Calvin and Hobbes series: “It’s a magical world out there, Hobbes, ol’ buddy! Let’s go exploring!”

How would you describe your personality?
I would say that I’m pretty quirky. I try to be really genuine and nice to everyone I meet and I like to get the most out of life. 

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.