A pipeline: American Girl Doll lover to history nerd

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

You probably haven’t thought about your American Girl doll since the third grade. I used to be OBSESSED with my doll, Felicity: a passionate and adventurous girl from colonial Virginia. I was so inspired by her books and by the film adaptation, “Felicity: An American Girl Adventure”, starring a young Shaliene Woodley. My love for Felicity inspired my interest and excitement in American history, specifically, the American Revolution. I even had a birthday party at Chicago’s American Girl Store and Cafe flagship. Despite my affection for Felicity, I eventually grew out of my childhood doll phase and moved onto other hobbies and interests. However, in the past few months, American Girl dolls have made a resurgence among millennials and younger members of Gen Z. On the ever popular social media app, TikTok, many influencers, including my personal favorite, Eli Rallo (check out her account here), have been attending the American Girl Doll Cafe for brunch and toting their dolls along with them. Rallo is very successful on TikTok in general, however, her American Girl doll videos garner much more attention, with some reaching over three million views

On Cheyenne Lin’s YouTube channel, she posted a deep dive back in December analyzing the American Girl Doll brand. In the description, she writes, “In this video essay, I discuss the history of the American Girl doll company, their historical dolls, movie and book ventures, as well as their controversies and other similar doll alternatives.” She illuminates one particular scandal from Andrea Peyser’s infamous 2009 article entitled, “‘Homeless’ doll costs $95 (hairstyling extra).” Peyser points out the irony of selling a toy at almost one hundred dollars but centering the doll’s story around living out of her car. This sentiment leads to an overall questioning of the brand’s intentions  (not to mention that they are owned by the major toy corporation: Mattel). 

Despite these controversies, many young women still continue to have so much adoration for the American Girl Doll brand. Why is our culture suddenly obsessed with American Girl dolls once again? Why are we, as adults, so excited to attend a store and restaurant made for children? Perhaps it’s because of the nostalgia we hold for the dolls and their stories.

Evelyn Mulchrone

Northwestern '25

Evelyn is a journalism major and theatre minor at Northwestern University from Chicago’s South Loop. She loves going out to restaurants, taking spin classes, reading novels and indulging in her sweet tooth. When she is not busy with schoolwork and HerCampus, you can find her going for a lakeside walk, performing in a musical, reading, or spending time de-stressing with her sorority sisters!