The 71st Annual Dolphin Show: My Fair Lady Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The 71st Annual Dolphin Show returned to campus the weekend of Friday, January 25 with its rendition of My Fair Lady, and consistent with previous productions, the Dolphin Show doesn’t disappoint.

Known as America’s Largest Student-Produced Musical, the Dolphin Show features a different musical every year. This year’s production, My Fair Lady, is a comedic musical by Lerner and Loewe and is based on George Bernard Shaw’s play Pygmalion. The story beings with a speech scientist, Mr. Higgins, making a bet that he can turn a cockney flower girl, Eliza Doolittle, into an English lady by teaching her how to speak like one. My Fair Lady is not a conventional love story, but that is precisely what adds to its charm and appeal. The development of the relationship between Eliza and Mr. Higgins is heartwarming to watch.

My Fair Lady is a laugh-out-loud comedy that satirizes the English class system during the 1950s through the cleverly written script, the upbeat dance numbers and the delightful characters that the cast brings to life. Lillie Cummings shines on the stage as Eliza Doolittle, the headstrong female protagonist. Opposite Cummings stars Nick Day as Henry Higgins, convincingly portraying the role of the self-seeking speech professor who proclaims not to need anyone but himself. Other crowd favorites are the eccentric Colonel Pickering (Jake Perlman), Brittany Blum’s hilarious depiction of Mrs. Pearce, Professor Higgins’ housekeeper, Mrs. Higgins (Justin Schuman), Higgins’ comical mother, and Mr. Doolittle (Gaby Hornig), Eliza’s outrageously irresponsible father. The actors and the funny musical numbers kept the audience laughing.

Some of the most entertaining musical numbers are Mr. Higgins’ rants on how the English don’t seem to know their own language (“Why Can’t the English”) and on why a man should never get married (“I’m an Ordinary Man”). Equally enjoyable are Mr. Doolittle’s cheerful proclamation about the joys of not working and getting by on luck (“With a Little Bit of Luck”) and his bittersweet song about his last night as a bachelor (“Get Me to the Church on Time”). Furthermore, the live orchestra and the vocals of the actors are outstanding.

A notable aspect of this show’s production and special effects is the creative use of shadows and silhouettes for a few of the scenes. Specifically, the revealing of Eliza’s silhouette at the end of Act One created a wonderfully suspenseful effect. The sets are also equally well designed and seamlessly transitioned between throughout the show.

“It’s amazing to see Northwestern students creating something so well done and professional,” comments freshman Ariella Hoffman-Peterson.  “The singing, dancing, and scenery were wonderful. It makes me feel like I’m part of a fantastic school with lots of diversity of interests and talents. I can’t wait to see the next musical!” she said.

The audience gave My Fair Lady a standing ovation on the first night of the show and the rest of the opening weekend was quickly selling out of tickets. The Dolphin Show has succeeded in creating another highly entertaining musical this year. My Fair Lady will also be showing at 8pm on Friday, February 1 and Saturday, February 2 in Cahn Auditorium and is definitely worth seeing.

Michell Kim

Northwestern

Hi, I'm Michell and I'm a sophomore at Northwestern University!