Culture > News

5 Ways to Make Your Voice Heard after the Parkland Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

According to the Gun Violence Archive, there have been 34 mass shootings in 2018 alone, and it is only February. As a college student, it may feel like you have no power to make a difference, but that is far from true. If hearing about the school shooting in Parkland, Florida made your heart ache, here are a few things you can do to make your voice heard. 

1. Sign Petitions Online

Just by scrolling through your Facebook feed, it is likely that one of your friends posted a link to at least one petition on their timeline. But, in case they have not, here is a one that calls for a ban on military-style assault weapons, and here is one that calls on politicians to stop taking donations from the National Rifle Association. By simply inserting your name and email into these websites, you can bring attention to really important issues.

2. Call Your Representatives

By taking just a few minutes out of your day and talking to your representative, you can make a huge difference. To do this, call the United States Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be put in touch with your local representative in the House or the Senate. When enough citizens voice their opinions to Congress, they will listen.

3. Donate!

There are so many causes that you can donate to in order to help the victims of mass shootings. Donating directly to families affected by the Parkland shooting can be extremely impactful, or you can choose to donate to gun control organizations. Some of the most famous gun control organizations are Moms Demand Action, the Brady Campaign, the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence and The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence. There are so many different organizations to choose from, so select the one you feel most passionate about and donate as much as possible.  

4. Speak Out on Campus

Odds are, you are not the only one campus that wants to make their voice heard. There are so many ways to spread awareness about gun violence on campus, from putting up posters in the student center and residence halls to starting a student group. Remember that anything you are willing to do can and will help so many people.

5. Just Keep Talking

Mass shootings are far too common in the United States right now. It is so important that human beings do not become numb to the effects of mass shootings because activism is the only way to put an end to gun violence in America. After just a few days, people stopped paying attention to the shooting at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas, at Pulse nightclub in Orlando and even at Sandy Hook Elementary School. This time, do not let people forget.

Photos Courtesy of Creative Commons