Style > Fashion

FIVE Fashion Must Haves to Layer and Stay Warm this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As the leaves turn red and orange, the weather also turns to cold, and you know what that means: Fall. With this season comes many traditions such as pumpkin carving and watching football games. But, these events are not fun unless you’re wearing a cute outfit. Here are five tips on how to layer your outfits so you are the most stylish person in the room, while also keeping yourself warm this season.

Arm and Leg Warmers

You know, what those workout models used to wear in the 80’s. Why did they ever go out of style? If you’re unsure about the weather, pop some warmers on those arms and legs. They look cute, and can be taken off easily if it gets too hot. You can get them in any color to fit your personal style. I also like to DIY my own using an old pair of high socks from my drawer.

Turtlenecks

You can wear them on their own or under your favorite top or dress. Bring back those summer tanks in this chilly weather. What I love about turtlenecks is that they come in many different materials and styles. I personally like wearing thin ones under my graphic tees for a grungy look. Pair it with some jeans and boots, and you’ll be the coolest person on the street.

Tights

I remember when I was younger I used to wear tights all the time. I don’t know why I thought it was weird to wear tights when I was in middle and high school. But, because I did, it’s time to bring these timely classics back. As I’ve developed my style, I have accumulated a lot of skirts over the years. The only issue is, my legs get cold in those fall months. Nowadays, tights come in so many different styles and patterns to go with any skirt or shorts you have. You can also get fleece-lined tights for those extra chilly days. 

Leather Jacket

It’s cute and practical. What I also love about leather jackets is that they’re versatile and go with whatever vibe you’re going for that day. While leather jackets may seem simple, they come in so many different styles. You can find a new and trendy one at the mall or get a cool vintage one at your local thrift store.

Tank Tops

Yes, you heard that right. Start wearing a tank top under your sweaters. If you’re anything like me, you sweat a lot indoors. While it is cold outside, when you’re indoors in the heat you want to be able to peel off a layer. I like wearing basic, solid colored tanks under my sweaters just in case — you never know what fall weather might bring.

Fashion in the fall is arguably the best time to look stylish. Use these tips so you can stay warm and look cute. Not the mentions that you can alter these pieces in any way you want to go with your own personal style.

Brooke Fein

Northwestern '26

Brooke Fein is a freshman student at Northwestern University studying Human Development in Context in the School of Education and Social Policy. She is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and loves writing about food, music, television, and fashion.