jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 MUST See Holiday Films and TV Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It’s officially the holiday season! While most people may be excited about heading home for the holidays or enjoying a delicious meal with family and friends, I know one of my favorite December traditions is movie watching! This year I have put together a list of fifteen movies and TV specials you must watch to immerse yourself in the holiday season this year.  

Even though most people (myself included) immediately think of Christmas movies during the winter, there are a few (but not nearly enough) great films and TV specials celebrating Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and other December holidays. While we wait for Hollywood to get in touch with more holidays in the future, enjoy this list of films and TV specials that could bring you some winter cheer!

1.     Elf (2003)

If you’re in the mood for the perfect mix of Christmas cheer, laughter, and romance, Elf is the film for you. For anyone who hasn’t had the pleasure of watching Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) venture from the North Pole to reconnect with his long lost father, drink bad cups of coffee with Jovie (Zooey Deschanel), and save the spirit of Christmas in New York, grab the maple syrup and prepare for a festive holiday film sure to make you smile.

2.     The Black Candle (2008)

In this documentary about the struggle of an African-American community and their culture, the Black Power Movement of the 1960s is used to explain the growth of Kwanzaa as a holiday. The documentary goes on to explain the seven principles of Kwanzaa and celebrate the history of African-American culture.

3.     A Christmas Story (1983)

This is by far one of my favorite Christmas films! Based on a series of short stories, A Christmas Story follows a young boy named Ralphie in the 1940s who wants nothing more than a Red Ryder BB rifle for Christmas. Laced with dark humor and still perfect for the whole family, A Christmas Story is a simple and hilarious film worth at least one watch (and likely many more) this holiday season.

4.     A Christmas Carol (2009)

Since 1843, this story has been retold dozens of times. In this animated retelling of Charles Dickens’ classic tale, though, Jim Carrey provides a unique and immaculate voice for Ebenezer Scrooge—who goes on a powerful emotional journey with Christmas Past, Present and Future. Disney truly delves deep into the background of this infamous miser, making him more real than he has ever been before.

5.     Seven Days of Kwanzaa – The Proud Family (2001)

Sticking with Disney for a minute, The Proud Family is one of the most underrated cartoons of our generation—but that’s a discussion for a different time. In this amazing holiday episode, the Prouds invite a homeless family over for Christmas dinner and are surprised to learn they celebrate Kwanzaa. Unaware of what the holiday is about, the homeless family goes on to teach the Proud family the traditions of Kwanzaa in an educational and heartwarming episode everyone should see.

6.     The Polar Express (2004)

Do you like Tom Hanks? If you do, you’re in a lot of luck, as he voices six different characters, including Santa Clause! A quick Christmas classic, The Polar Express is the story of a young boy who is lucky enough to catch a ride on the Polar Express—a trackless train that only appears in the night. After boarding the train, the boy goes on an adventure to the North Pole, where he learns the magic of friendship and the spirit of Christmas—all through some truly beautiful animation.

7.     A Rugrats Chanukah – Rugrats (1996)

Going back a little to the 1990s, the Rugrats knew that there are other holidays besides Christmas. Attempting to educate young viewers about this traditional Jewish holiday, this episode followed the babies as they explored a synagogue and used their imaginations to go back in time, as they learned the story behind Chanukah.

8.     The Strike (Festivus for the Rest of Us!) – Seinfeld (1997)

Having resulted in a real holiday, this episode of Seinfeld explains the full story of Festivus, a secular holiday celebrated on December 23, and invented by the character George Costanza’s father Frank. The holiday is presented as an alternative to participating in the commercialism of the Christmas season. If the undecorated aluminum pole or the “airing of grievances” aren’t enough for you, the holiday even involves the “feats of strength,” in which two people have a physical fight. Only when the fight has ended is Festivus finally over.

9.     Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire – The Simpsons (1989)

After 27 seasons, the Simpsons have made more than their fair share of holiday episodes. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire is the premiere episode of The Simpsons, in which Homer takes a job as a shopping mall Santa to afford Christmas presents for his family. The episode also introduces Santa’s Little Helper, the family’s well-known adopted greyhound. Humorous and surprisingly heartwarming, this episode will take you back to the origins of The Simpsons and get you in the holiday spirit.

10.  The One With the Holiday Armadillo – Friends (2000)

In this well-loved episode of Season 7 of Friends, Ross attempts to introduce his son Ben to the holiday of Chanukah. Being a kid, though, Ben sees the initial idea of Christmas as far more appealing. This makes the episode comical struggle that eventually results in a sweet effort between Ross (the Holiday Armadillo) and Chandler (Santa Clause) to explain Chanukah and the Festival of Lights to Ben.

11.  A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

In this fantastic animated Peanuts special, Charlie Brown is distressed about the commercialization of Christmas and the lack of support from his friends to celebrate the holiday in a meaning manner. The special takes Charlie Brown on a journey to remind viewers of the true meaning of Christmas. If you’re also like Charlie Brown and sick of the commercialization of the holiday season, this TV special is perfect to watch this December.

12.  The Hanukkah Story – The Nanny (1998)

As one of television’s favorite Jewish-Americans, Fran Drescher’s exuberant personality has spread through many homes over the years. In this Hanukkah special, Fran and her new husband Maxwell become separated on the first night of Hanukkah when he gets into an icy car accident on the road. It is the season for a Hanukkah miracle, though. If you’re looking for drama and a little bit of humor, this episode of The Nanny is exactly what you need.

13.  National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)

In this modern Christmas classic, the Griswold family hosts an outrageously funny Christmas, with some unexpected guests and shocking surprises. From country cousins in trailers to a light show seen all the way from space, this Christmas movie will keep you on your toes with surprise and laughter.

14.  Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 & 2000)

It’s difficult to choose which version of this classic Dr. Seuss story is the best. If you’re in the mood for some classic animation and old-timey charm, the original tale of the Grinch is always a great choice to boost holiday spirits. If you’re more into live-action films and don’t mind seeing Jim Carrey dressed as a very realistic Grinch, then the modern version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas is also a great option! While the original version feels much more traditional and has a peaceful, childhood innocence to it, the remade version is much more humorous. Whichever film you choose to watch, that Grinch’s heart is still sure to grow three sizes!

15.  The One with All the Resolutions – Friends (1999)

Finally, to cap off the holiday season, this New Year’s special has the friends struggle with creating their New Year’s resolutions and presents Ross’s classic leather pants scene. (If you haven’t seen it you should.)

That’s it for this December! So if you’re looking to get into the holiday spirit and curl up on the couch with a good film or TV show, keep this list in mind. From laughing to crying to simply enjoying the atmosphere of the season, this December watch list has it all and is sure to bring a smile to your face!

All photos provided by: Google Images