This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

Before graduating from high school, I was beyond excited to leave home for the first time. The idea of finally being an independent adult, making new lifelong friends, and spending the next few years living out new experiences was thrilling! Although there were so many positives, the idea of attending a college so far from home was a huge negative. Despite my doubts, my family was supportive of me attending my chosen college, even though it was quite a drive for weekend visits back home. I loved being with my family, but living with them for the last eighteen years felt like a chapter I needed to close in order to learn how to take care of myself without them.

Since I’ve moved to a new city for college, I usually find myself missing my family when I’m visiting places I wish they could experience with me. Most of all, I miss my family when I’m feeling overwhelmed in life. When things turn upside down and I have no sense of direction, my family has always been a great support system. Without them by my side, I’ve figured out ways to bring pieces of them with me while I’m away at college.

Dive deep into your existing friendships and/or focus on making new ones.

Friends have always been my biggest support whenever I don’t have my family around. As confusing as it may be, I also chose to come to a college where I didn’t have any pre-existing friendships. In the beginning, there were countless times where I was filled with regret for not choosing one of the schools that my friends were attending. However, going to a school where I didn’t know anyone forced me to step outside of my safe little box and put myself out there. Since then, I’ve found the most sincere and loving friendships I could’ve asked for at college. On days when I’m missing home, I know I can always count on my friends to put a smile on my face and to keep me grounded.

Get excited for the holidays!

Growing up, my family has always made a big deal out of the holidays. Anything from Easter to Thanksgiving, I could always count on my mom to have the entire house decorated and for grand festivities to happen on the holiday itself. Every year we would keep adding on to our list of special family traditions until the year I moved out. Since homesickness hits the worst for me around the holidays, I found that decorating my living space and keeping up with my family’s traditions on my own makes me feel like I’m at home again.

Make college your “home away from home.”

Going back home might not always be an option for some and looking at college from a new perspective has helped me during spells of homesickness. I’ve made an effort to create a safe space in my apartment where I can let out my emotions and be myself at the end of a long day of school or work. College and home didn’t always have to be two separate things in life like I’d originally thought. While I still consider home to be where my loved ones are at, college has become my home away from home because of my newfound discovery that home is wherever I can be my true self.

Now that I’ve begun my second year of college, I’ve found it’s more important than ever to figure out what ways best help with managing my recurring homesickness. In the end, whatever you can do to take a piece of your family with you to college will be worthwhile as you navigate this next chapter of your life.

Destiny Kelln

Northern Arizona '24

Hey everyone! I'm Destiny and I am currently a sophomore at Northern Arizona University. I'm double majoring in criminology/criminal justice and psychological sciences. I love listening to music and consider myself a pro in creating the perfect Spotify playlist for any occasion. New Girl is my go to comfort show and I'll never turn down a chocolate croissant and an iced coffee!