This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

The fashion industry is responsible for 10% of carbon emissions worldwide, and 20% of water pollution. As the apparel industry continues to be oversaturated with fast-fashion brands and microtrends, it can feel impossible to build a wardrobe that is both sustainable and on-trend. So where do you begin?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

The phrase a lot of us have heard since elementary school is just as relevant today as it was then, especially when it comes to fashion. 

The first step to a sustainable closet is to reduce your overall consumption. Before making a new purchase, sit on it for a few days. Consider how many wears you’ll get out of the item, question if you actually like the piece or if it just fits the current trend. You can still buy new pieces, but being more thoughtful about your purchases can greatly reduce clothing consumption.

Next, look at the clothes you already have. Try to find new ways to style your clothes so that they feel new. Consider learning to sew so you can alter clothes that you never wear because they just don’t fit right. And if they can’t be altered, there are endless ways to completely transform your old clothes (including this easy diy tote!). Reusing the items you already have helps reduce the amount of clothes that end up in landfills. 

Thrift Shops

When it’s time to buy new clothes, thrift stores are not only sustainable, but they are often more affordable than shopping retail. One of the main reasons fast-fashion has continued to grow in popularity is the low prices, but thrift shops are able to offer prices that are just as low without the negative environmental impact. Thrifting can also lead to finding one-of-a-kind vintage items!

Finding thrift stores near you is as easy as a quick Google search, but I have also provided a small list of my favorite second hand stores in Flagstaff!

Second-Hand Sellers

For those who don’t have access to a thrift shop, want a specific clothing item, or just don’t want to hunt through a thrift store, second-hand sellers are an amazing sustainable option. By choosing second-hand clothing, you are saving money and reducing the amount of clothing that ends up in landfills. And with the legions of online resellers, you can search for specific items and find the best price from the comfort of your own home! 

Some of the most popular online reselling apps are:

If you aren’t the biggest fan of online shopping, you can check your area for a physical resale store such as Plato’s Closet and Runway Fashion Exchange. These stores have all the benefits of online resellers, with the ability to try on the clothes before you buy them! These stores are also more selective about the clothes they accept than thrift stores are. This means that the clothes are often trendier and in better condition than some of the clothes that may be at the thrift shop.

Small Businesses

While thrifting and buying second hand is important, sometimes you just can’t find exactly what you’re looking for. The first step to shopping small is to check for small businesses in your area. This can be found through Instagram, Facebook, or by asking friends! Shopping locally can help cut down on packaging waste (as well as shipping costs). 

If shopping locally isn’t an option for you, you can easily find a variety of shops on Etsy! However, it is important when shopping online to be aware of people who dropship from fast-fashion sites and pose as a small business. These businesses can be avoided by using reverse-image search on the product photos, and being wary of reviews claiming poor quality and long shipping time (handmade clothing will also often have a longer shipping time, but the quality will be much better!)

Overall…

Building a more sustainable wardrobe can feel overwhelming, but it doesn’t need to happen overnight. I hope that this guide will help you make more sustainable decisions when it comes to fashion, because even small efforts make a difference!

Trinity Lamsus

Northern Arizona '25

A first-year journalism major at Northern Arizona University with a minor in photography. Passionate about sustainability and feminism. An enthusiast of books, fashion, and Taylor Swift.