This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

With Thanksgiving around the corner, it is officially the season of pumpkin pie, football, and gratitude. My family has the same holiday tradition as many others do; we make a big Thanksgiving dinner and sit around the table together as we all take turns sharing what we’re thankful for. While I admire our family tradition, I feel like we don’t share enough about how thankful we are for the lives we live and the people we get to love. Why is Thanksgiving one of the only times where we sit down and truly think about what we’re grateful for in our lives? 

Life has been knocking me down a little more than usual lately and I’ve struggled at times to persevere through the schoolwork and responsibilities of the semester. While I have the support of my family and friends to keep on pushing through, I find myself being the least supportive person of my dreams. Sometimes the hard things in life cloud my mind and I forget about all there is to be thankful for. I’ve accomplished so many things this semester and I’ve had so many amazing experiences with my friends.

Here are a few of the ways I’ve been trying to find gratitude in my life lately and how I’ve been helping others.

Make a Gratitude Jar/Journal!

For a gratitude jar, you can either use a plain jar or customize it and make it your own! The idea for the jar is to write down things you’re grateful for on slips of paper whenever they pop into your head. Whether you’re out running errands or doing some homework, write down thoughts of gratitude as they come to you. Once you’ve filled up your jar, read the slips whenever you find yourself in low spirits. The gratitude journal follows the same idea. Find a trusty notebook and document your feelings of gratitude and happiness throughout your day. Remind yourself of all the things you have to be grateful for in life and remember what you’re working toward!

Spread the Kindness and Gratitude!

Once you’ve found your gratitude, help the people around you see the positive side to life too! If you have a friend, partner, or family member going through a rough patch, be supportive of them in their time of need. Reassure the people around you that there are good things to come and help them find things to be grateful for in their current situation.

Whatever season of life you are in, there are always upsides and things to be grateful for. Take the time to find your gratitude and help others see the brighter side of things too!

Destiny Kelln

Northern Arizona '24

Hey everyone! I'm Destiny and I am currently a sophomore at Northern Arizona University. I'm double majoring in criminology/criminal justice and psychological sciences. I love listening to music and consider myself a pro in creating the perfect Spotify playlist for any occasion. New Girl is my go to comfort show and I'll never turn down a chocolate croissant and an iced coffee!