This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

The Petrified Forest National Park, which is located 119 miles from Flagstaff, 212 miles from Phoenix, and 218 miles from Albuquerque. The 346 square miles was declared a federal national monument in 1906, and became the 30th national park in 1962.

The mixture of different landscapes here makes the Petrified Forest unique just by its outward appearance, but the complex history behind this historical landmark entertains those looking for an education fueled by nature.

This park is extremely family-friendly, as well as a great place for someone to have their first national park experience. The majority of the park consists of short, paved, hiking trails that stretch less than a mile long, and include low-grade elevation gains.

The Petrified Forest receives minimal visitors, which means crowds are rare, but when they are present they are easy to manage. With a singular road going straight down the middle of this park navigating is very straightforward, and seeing everything the Petrified Forest has to offer can be managed in one day. However, for visitors desiring a more exploratory and adventurous visit, the park has opportunities for this as well.

With an abundance of geological and botanical history, the Petrified Forest National Park is a beautiful merge of American landscapes. It showcases the beauty of the Arizona desert, with hints of the Midwest plains, and highlights of South Dakota’s Badlands. The rolling hills, which I am sure turn green with foliage in the spring, remind me of Idaho, since the towns along the I-40 draw the perfect illustration of rural Arizona.

The park’s services are limited, with only the north and south ends having facilities. The hours are also odd compared to other parks as the gates are only open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Overall, the Petrified Forest National Park emulates a 1970’s vibe, and is in desperate need of a renovation. Unfortunately, this does not make the Petrified Forest unique as parks, forests, and lands across the United States are severely understaffed, underfunded, and deeply underappreciated.

Next time you visit Arizona, I urge you to not only enjoy the wonder of the Grand Canyon, but take a few hours to visit the small towns out to the East, and venture down to the Petrified Forest. I can promise you no other national park will compare.

Emily Gerdes

Northern Arizona '23

Emily is a junior at Northern Arizona University getting an Honors degree in journalism/political science with a minor in photography. When Emily isn't working or at school, she spends her time exploring the outdoors, catching up on reality TV or baking. One day, she would love to work as a photojournalist at National Geographic or as the White House photographer.