This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Last night, HerCampus sent me to see Zoolander 2. This upcoming movie has recently received a lot of press, and even AMC Loews was packed with moviegoers desperate to see the sequel three days early. This comedy follows Derek Zoolander and Hansel as they are reunited after 15 years in a hope to take back the modeling world. However, instead of being ‘so hot right now’ they are described as ‘old’ and ‘lame,’ which just proves how old we all really are!

The film has a lot of famous faces–I mean, a lot. The cameos are off the charts and I think this is what really makes the film. Of course with the return of the dynamic duo Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson, it was going to be an excellent start. The cast of the movie is outstanding and the jokes at their expense are priceless. We see stars like Marc Jacobs [watch him recreate and epic scene from the original Zoolander here, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and my favorite of all, Susan Boyle. However, I don’t think any film could be as good as the original. This sequel is wacky and way out there.

The story follows Derek (now referred to as Erik) who has went into hiding as a hermit crab following the collapse of his Center for Kids Who Can’t Read Good, leading to the death of his wife and the removal of Derek Jr. from his custody. This led to both Zoolander (Ben Stiller) and Hansel (Owen Wilson), also involved in the tragedy, to quit fashion and hide from the world.

In the meantime, Valentina (Penelope Cruz), Interpol Fashion Police, is investigating the deaths of pop stars all over the world being murdered, and their last pictures posted on Instagram seem to be paying homage to Zoolander’s “Blue Steel” epic pose.

Derek and Hansel are both called to Rome to star in Don Atari’s new fashion show and run into Valentina who offers to help Derek locate his son in return for his assistance to solve the murders. The investigation leads to the one and only Mugatu (Will Ferrell) who has been spending time in prison for his crimes against fashion. The plot is insane, crazy, and wacky. It is a great laugh if it meets your sense of humor and if you are willing to remove yourself from reality for an hour and a half.

The sequel is certainly based on the original jokes of male models being really, really ridiculously good-looking but also really stupid. However, there are new undertones such as the social media hype and a focus on an androgynous model, All, played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Some see this as hitting real issues in a humorous manner; however, others see this as a more serious topic. The Los Angeles Magazine claims that “using women and LGBTQ people as punch lines is bigoted.”

I will let you decide on how to take this movie. Overall, this is a good attempt at a sequel. It’s a crazy, unrealistic movie with a ton of laughs, featuring ridiculously good-looking people and our favorite fashionistas (and non-fashionistas) as cameos. If you’re looking for a pick-me-up, to remove yourself from your day-to-day life, or to laugh hysterically at the most ridiculous and unrealistic situations ever, this is unquestionably the movie for you.

Zoolander 2 is in cinemas from February 12th, view the full trailer here

Lauren is currently at Northeastern on co-op from her university in Glasgow, Scotland. She is in her 3rd year working towards a Business degree and is spending her time in Boston with Northeastern's Global Experience Office. She is an enthusiastic member of Northeastern's DIY Arts and Crafts club as she loves to try to make pretty things, even if she isn't exactly any good. Her interests include travelling and she feels her favorite place so far has to be Paris, reading Harry Potter, blogging about her time in Boston and instagraming cute puppies. Although new to HerCampus she is excited to start contributing towards the magazine.
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!