This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Election Day, Nov. 5, is fast approaching. For many college students, this means it is time to vote in their first general election. These first-time voters must not only navigate the complexities of American politics but also learn how to cast their vote, some while studying far away from home. This is more challenging than one might think: each state has different registration processes, deadlines and applications for receiving an absentee ballot. Reference this guide to determine how to vote absentee in your state.

Alabama: 

In Alabama, you need an excuse to vote absentee. College students can use the excuse that they will be away from their county on Election Day. The absentee ballot request process will open on Sept. 11 and close on Oct. 31. Absentee ballots must be received by noon on Election Day, and their status can be tracked here.  

Call (334) 242-7200 with any questions. 

Alaska: 

Absentee voting is available to all residents in Alaska with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, residents can use Alaska’s Online Absentee Ballot Application or complete the Mail-in Alaska Absentee Ballot Application and mail it back to their local election office. The last day to request an absentee ballot is Oct. 26, and it must be received by your election office on Election Day at 8 p.m. Alaska absentee ballots can be tracked here

Have questions? Contact akabsentee@alaska.gov or check out additional information available for college voters here

Arizona:

Arizona does not require an excuse for voters to request an absentee ballot. Application requests must be completed by Friday, Oct. 25, and the application can be completed online. Ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day and can be tracked here

Refer to the Arizona 2024 election guide for further information.

Arkansas: 

Absentee voting is available in Arkansas, but you must fit specific criteria to apply. If you are a college student studying outside of Arkansas, you can use the excuse “You will be unavoidably absent from your polling site on election day” when applying. To obtain an absentee ballot, you can either contact your county clerk where you are registered to vote and request an application from them or complete an Arkansas Application for Absentee Ballot, then return the form to your local county clerk through mail or email. You can find the addresses of all the county clerks here. The last day to apply for an absentee ballot is seven days before Election Day, and they must be filled in and returned to the county clerk by 7:30 p.m. on Election Day. Arkansas ballots can be tracked here

Contact voterservices@sos.arkansas.gov 

California: 

Since California mails all registered voters a ballot, individuals must request an absentee ballot if they will be away from their county on Election Day. Requests opened on Jan. 1st and must be completed by Tuesday, Oct. 29. College students can register their college address, and their ballots will be sent there. Absentee ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received seven days later. Voters can track their ballots by contacting their county election offices. 

California has guidelines for college students, and voters can call (916) 653-6814 with other questions.

Colorado:

Colorado offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. If you are a first-time voter registering by mail to vote in Colorado, you must submit a form of identification like a Colorado driver’s license or U.S. passport. To get an absentee ballot, you can register and request your ballot with the Federal Post Card Application and even vote as a backup. The deadline to register for absentee ballots is Monday, Oct. 28, and must be completed and turned in by Election Day. Colorado ballots can be tracked here

For more mail-in ballot FAQs, click here, and for some FAQs asked by college students, click here.

Connecticut: 

Connecticut voters need an excuse to vote absentee; college students can use the excuse that they will be absent on Election Day. Applications can be filled out between Saturday, Oct. 5, and Monday, Nov. 4, via Connecticut’s online absentee ballot request portal. All absentee ballots must be received by the close of polls on Election Day and can be tracked here

Questions can be sent to elections@ct.gov

Delaware:

To vote absentee in Delaware, you must provide a valid reason. Students studying outside the state can use the following: “You cannot make it to the polls due to the nature of your business or occupation. This includes people providing care to loved ones who need constant care and students.” To apply for an absentee ballot, request it through this website or complete the Absentee Ballot Statement and mail it back to the Department’s office in your county. You must be registered by Saturday, Oct. 12, and the ballot must be completed and returned by Election Day. Delaware ballots can be tracked here

For any questions, contact absentee@delaware.gov or check out some FAQs from fellow college students here

Florida:

Florida voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee. The application must be filled out by Thursday, Oct. 24, and the process is unique to each county. Refer to the Supervisor of Elections list to find the contact for each county in Florida. Ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day, and ballots can be tracked here

Refer to this FAQ article for further information about voting in Florida. 

Georgia:

Georgia offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To request an absentee ballot, visit the Secretary of State’s online portal or fill out the Application for Georgia Official Absentee Ballot and mail it back to your County Board of Registrar’s Office. The deadline to register for an absentee ballot is Monday, Oct. 7, and the ballot must be completed and submitted by the close of polls on Election Day. Georgia ballots can be tracked here

Click here for more FAQs on absentee ballots in Georgia.

Hawaii:

Hawaii uses the vote-by-mail process, meaning voters must request a temporary address change if they will be from the state on Election Day. Requests must be completed by Tuesday, Oct. 29. The application must be printed and mailed to the proper county election office. Ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day, and Hawaii voters can track the status of their ballot here.

Email elections@hawaii.gov with any questions. 

Idaho: 

Idaho offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, either use the online Absentee Ballot request system (which will require the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number and a valid Idaho Drivers License Number) or fill out the Paper Absentee Ballot Request Form and mail it back to your local county clerk (county clerk addresses can be found at the bottom of the form.) Registration must be done by Friday, Oct. 11, and the completed ballot must be submitted to your local county clerk by 8 p.m. on Election Day. Idaho ballots can be tracked here

Contact elections@sos.idaho.gov with any questions. 

Illinois:

No excuse is required to vote absentee in Illinois. Applications must be completed by Oct. 31, and are handled by each individual county. To find the proper application, refer to the county absentee ballot list. Ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received no later than 14 days after the election. Illinois ballots can be tracked here.

Additional resources can be found on the Illinois State Board of Elections website

Indiana:

You must meet one of the state’s qualifying excuses to vote absentee in Indiana. For college students studying out of state, you can use “Have a specific, reasonable expectation that you will be absent from your county of residence on Election Day during the entire 12 hours that the polls are open (6 a.m. to 6 p.m.)” as your excuse. To apply for an absentee ballot, complete the Application for Absentee Ballot (ABS-Mail) and mail it back to your local county election office (addresses for each county on the bottom) or visit your voter portal to apply online. Registration for absentee ballots closes on Monday, Oct. 7, and voted ballots must be turned in by 6 p.m. (close of polls) on Election Day. Indiana ballots can be tracked here

Additional information on absentee voting in Indiana can be found here.

Iowa:

Iowa voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee. Applications must be completed between Aug. 27 and Oct. 21, at 5 p.m. Fill out the application by hand and mail it to the County Auditor’s office. Ballots must be received by the close of polls on Election Day and can be tracked here.

Reach out to sos@sos.iowa.gov with any questions. 

Kansas:

Kansas offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can either fill out the Kansas Voter Registration Application and mail it back to your county election office (addresses can be found at the bottom of the form) or register to vote online here. The absentee ballot registration deadline is Tuesday, Oct. 15, and voted ballots must be submitted by Election Day at 7 p.m. Kansas ballots can be tracked here

For more FAQs, click here.  

Kentucky: 

To vote absentee in Kentucky, voters must provide an excuse. The most fitting option for college students would be that they will be absent on Election Day. Absentee ballot applications can be completed online and must be filled out by Tuesday, Oct. 22. Ballots must be received by 6 p.m. on Election Day and can be tracked here.  

Call (502) 573-7100 with any questions. 

Louisiana:

Absentee voting is available in Louisiana, but you must meet specific criteria. For college students studying out of state, you can use the following excuse: “I am a student, instructor, or professor (or spouse or dependents of the following) in an institution of higher learning located outside the parish.” To apply for an absentee ballot, you can either fill out the General Application for Absentee by Mail Ballot and send it back to your parish registrar of voters where you are registered or Log into the Louisiana Voter Portal, click “Search By Voter” and fill in the requested personal information. The registration deadlines vary depending on whether you use the mail or online application: registration closes on Oct. 7, for mail and on Tuesday, Oct. 15, for online. Regardless of how you register, voted ballots must be submitted by Monday, Nov. 4, before 4:30 p.m. Kansas ballots can be tracked here

For more FAQs, click here.

Maine:

Maine offers absentee voting with no excuse required. Applications must be completed by Nov. 2nd, 2024, and can be completed online. All absentee ballots must be completed by 8 p.m. on election day. Maine ballots can be tracked here

Have Questions? Contact CEC.Elections@maine.gov

Maryland:

Maryland offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can fill out the Mail-in Ballot Request and mail it back to your Local Board of Elections. The addresses for each county’s board of elections can be found at the bottom of the form. Registration must be completed by Tuesday, Oct. 15th, and voted ballots must be turned in by Election Day at 8 p.m. Maryland ballots can be tracked here.

If you have any questions, check out more FAQs here or contact info.sbe@maryland.gov 

Massachusetts: 

Massachusetts offers absentee ballots, but voters must provide an excuse. College students can use the excuse that they will be away from their city or town on Election Day. Absentee applications must be completed by Thursday Oct. 31. Applications must be completed by hand and sent to the voter’s local election office. Absentee ballot requests must be received by Nov. 2nd, and voters can track the status of their ballots here

Contact elections@sec.state.ma.us with any questions. 

Michigan:

Michigan offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To register for an absentee ballot, you can either fill out the Michigan Absent Voter Ballot Application and send it back to your local city or township clerk before Friday, Nov. 1, or apply for an absentee ballot online. Registration must be completed by Monday, Oct. 21, and your voted ballot must be returned by Election Day at 8 p.m. Michigan ballots can be tracked here.

Check out the Election administrator information for more resources.

Minnesota:

Minnesota voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee and must request their ballots by Nov. 4. The application can be completed online. Ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day, and ballots can be tracked here

Email secretary.state@state.mn.us with any questions.

Mississippi:

Absentee voting is available in Mississippi, but voters must meet  specific criteria. College students studying out of state can use “I am a student, teacher or administrator” as a valid excuse. You can fill out this form and send it to your County Circuit Clerk to apply for an absentee ballot. The address is at the bottom of the form. The registration deadline is Monday, Oct. 7, 2024, and voted ballots must be submitted by Election Day. Michigan ballots can be tracked here.

For more election answers, call Mississippi’s Elections Answerline at 1-800-829-6786. 

Missouri:

Voters from Missouri need an excuse to vote absentee. College students can use the excuse that they will be absent from the state on Election Day. Requests must be completed by Oct. 23. Completed applications must be mailed to the voter’s local election authority. Absentee ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day and can be tracked here

Reach out to info@sos.mo.gov with any questions.

Montana:

Montana offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To register for an absentee ballot, you can fill out the Application for Absentee Ballot and send it to your County Election Office. The addresses of each office are at the bottom of the form. You can also fill out the Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Request online. The deadline to register for an absentee ballot is Monday, October 7th, 2024, and voted ballots must be submitted by Monday, Nov. 4 at 12 p.m. Michigan ballots can be tracked here.

For more information, contact soselections@mt.gov or 888-884-VOTE. For FAQs, click here.

Nebraska:

No excuse is required to vote absentee in Nebraska. Voters must apply by Friday, Oct. 25. Applications should be completed and returned to the proper county election office. Completed ballots must be received by the close of polls on Election Day. Nebraska voters can track the status of their ballot here.

Refer to these FAQs for further information. 

Nevada:

Nevada is now a universal vote-by mail-state, so all registered voters will receive a ballot by mail, and no request is necessary. To register to vote, fill out the State of Nevada Voter Registration Application which can be found here and send it back to your local election office. Addresses to each office can be found at the bottom of the form. You can also complete the Voter Registration Form online. 

For any questions, contact nvelect@sos.nv.gov.

New Hampshire: 

New Hampshire voters will need to provide an excuse to vote absentee. College students can use the excuse that they will be absent from their city or town on Election Day. There is no specific deadline to complete the request process, but it is recommended that voters file their application at least a week before Election Day. The complete application should be mailed to the local clerk’s office. Ballots must be received by 5 p.m. on Election Day and can be tracked here.

Refer to the New Hampshire Secretary of State website for further information. 

New Jersey:

New Jersey offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can either fill out this form and send it to your local election office or fill out the Voter Registration Application. The deadline to register for an absentee ballot is Tuesday, Oct. 15, and voted ballots must be submitted by Monday, Nov. 4 at 3 p.m. New Jersey ballots can be tracked here.

For more information, contact 1-877-NJ-VOTER (1-877-658-6837) or check out these FAQs

New Mexico:

No excuse is needed to vote absentee in New Mexico. Voters should complete an absentee ballot application by Oct. 22. The online request can be found here. Voted ballots should be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day to be counted. New Mexico voters can track their absentee ballots online

Read these FAQs for more information on voting. 

New York:

Excused-absentee voting is available in New York, but voters must meet a criteria. College students studying out of state can use “I am unavoidably absent from your county on Election Day” as their valid excuse. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can either fill out the New York State Absentee Ballot Application or and mail it to your local election office (find the address of your county’s election office here) or fill out the Online Absentee Ballot Request. Registration must be completed by Saturday, Oct. 26, and voted ballots must be submitted by Election Day at 9 p.m. New York ballots can be tracked here

Call 866-VOTE-NYC if you have more questions.

North Carolina:

North Carolina voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee. Applications must be completed by Oct. 29th, 2024, and can be completed through the online portal. Ballots must be postmarked by Election Day, and voters can check the status here

Email elections.sboe@ncsbe.gov with any questions. 

North Dakota:

North Dakota offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can either fill out the Absentee/Mail Ballot Application and mail it back to the auditor of your county of residence or appropriate election officer or fill out this form. The last day to request an absentee ballot is one day before the election, and the voted ballot must be submitted by Monday, Nov. 4. North Dakota ballots can be tracked here.

Ohio:

Ohio voters can request an absentee ballot without an excuse. Applications can be filled out between Aug. 7 and Oct. 29. Voters must complete this application and mail it to their county board of elections. Completed ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received four days later. Ohio voters can track their ballots here

Call (877-767-6446) with any further questions. 

Oklahoma:

Oklahoma offers absentee voting to all residents with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, download an Absentee Ballot Request Form/Address Confirmation form and send it to your County Election Board or apply online through the OK Voter Portal. Registration must be completed by Friday, Oct. 11, and voted ballots must be submitted by 5 p.m., the third Monday (15 days) preceding the election. Oklahoma ballots can be tracked here

Check out FAQs here 

Oregon:

Oregon votes by mail, so voters must apply to receive their ballots at an alternative location. These requests can be completed between Sept. 21, and Oct. 31. This request form must be completed and hand-delivered or mailed to the voter’s county election office. The addresses can be found on the second page of the ballot request form. Voted absentee ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received by seven days after. Oregon voters can check the status of their absentee ballots here

Pennsylvania:

All registered Pennsylvania voters are eligible to request to vote by mail. To apply for an absentee ballot, download the Pennsylvania Application for Absentee Ballot form and return it to your local county board of elections (addresses can be found at the bottom) or fill out the Pennsylvania Application for Mail-in Ballot. The deadline to apply for a civilian absentee ballot is 5 p.m. on the Tuesday before the election, and The deadline to return your completed ballot is 8 p.m. on election day. Pennsylvania ballots can be tracked here

Find FAQs and voting information for college students here.

Rhode Island:

Rhode Island voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee. Application requests must be completed by Oct. 15, and can be completed online. Ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Election Day and can be tracked here.

Email elections@sos.ri.gov or boe.elections@elections.ri.gov with any questions.

South Carolina:

Excused-absentee voting is available in South Carolina, but voters have to meet a criteria. College students can use either of the following valid excuses: “Persons who will be absent from their county of residence during early voting hours for the duration of the early voting period, and during the hours the polls are open on election day,” or “Persons with employment obligations which prevent them from voting during early voting hours for the duration of the early voting period, and during the hours the polls are open on election day.” To apply for an absentee ballot, call or send a request by U.S. mail to your county voter registration office. Once you get the application, return it by U.S. mail or personal delivery to your county voter registration office as soon as possible. The deadline to return your application is 5 p.m. on the 11th day before the election. South Carolina ballots can be tracked here

If you have any questions, contact elections@elections.sc.gov 

South Dakota:

No excuse is required to vote absentee in South Dakota. Requests must be filed by 5 p.m. on Nov. 4. Applications must be completed and mailed to the voter’s county auditor. Ballots must be received by Election Day and can be tracked here.

Call (605)773-3537 with any questions about election information.

Tennessee:

Absentee voting is available in Tennessee, but you must meet the criteria. For college students studying out of state, you can use “Will be outside the county of registration during the early voting period and all day on Election Day” as your excuse. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can fill out the Absentee By-Mail Ballot Application up to seven days before Election Day. You must mail your ballot in time for your county election commission to receive it by the close of polls on Election Day. Tennessee ballots can be tracked here

Texas:

College students from Texas can use the excuse of being absent from their county to vote absentee. Requests must be complete by Friday, Oct. 25. Voters must complete a form and mail it to their county early voting clerk. Addresses can be found here. Ballots must be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day and can be tracked on this website

Further resources can be found on this website or by contacting (512) 463-5650. 

Utah:

If you are registered to vote in Utah, you may vote by absentee ballot. To apply for an absentee ballot, fill out the Absentee Ballot Application and send it back to your county clerk (addresses can be found at the bottom of the form). You must be registered by Friday, Oct. 25, and the ballot application must be received by the Thursday before the election. Track Utah ballots here

For further questions check out the FAQs

Vermont:

No excuse is needed to vote absentee in Vermont, and the last day to request is Monday, Nov. 4, by 5 p.m. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can request one online or apply for one through the mail. All votes must be received by the close of business on Election Day and can be tracked here.

More information for absentee voters can be found here, and Vermonters can call (802) 828-2363 with questions. 

Virginia:

Absentee voting in Virginia is available with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, you can either apply online or fill out the Virginia Absentee Ballot Application Form and send it back to your local election office. The last day to request an absentee ballot is by 5 p.m., 11 days before an election, and the voted ballot must be submitted by the close of polls on Election Day. Track Virginia ballots here

For more questions, contact info@elections.virginia.gov 

Washington:

The entire voting process is conducted by mail in Washington State. Voters who will not be in the state 18 days before the election must request a temporary address change for their ballots. The request process opens on August 7th, 2024, and voters must contact their county election officials to see if they can forward ballots. The ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and can be tracked here

Looking for more resources? Check out this FAQ page or contact elections@sos.wa.gov 

Washington D.C.:

Voters from the District of Columbia do not need an excuse to vote absentee. Applications for absentee ballots must be submitted by Monday, Oct. 21, and can be completed on the absentee ballot request website. Ballots must be postmarked by Election Day, received ten days after, and can be tracked here

Call (202)727-2525 with any questions. 

West Virginia:

Absentee voting is available in West Virginia, but voters must meet specific criteria. College students studying out of state can use “attending school” as their valid excuse. To apply for an absentee ballot, fill out the West Virginia Absentee Ballot Application and submit it to the county clerk. The last day to request an absentee ballot is six days before the election, and voted ballots must be turned in by the close of polls on Election Day. West Virginia ballots can be tracked here

Wisconsin:

Wisconsin voters do not need an excuse to vote absentee. Ballot applications must be completed by Thursday, Oct. 31, and the request processes can be started on the My Vote Wisconsin website. Ballots must be received by Election Day to count and they can be tracked here

If you have any questions about voting, reach out to elections@wi.gov

Wyoming: 

Absentee voting in Wyoming is available with no excuse required. To apply for an absentee ballot, fill out the Wyoming Absentee Ballot Request Form and send it back to your local county clerk. The deadline to register for an absentee ballot is Monday, Oct. 21. Still, it is recommended that you apply for your ballot 17 days before the election. Completed ballots must be submitted by the close of polls on Election Day. 

For more questions, find FAQs here and find contacts for your offices here 

Happy voting! 

Carol Queiroz

Northeastern '27

Carol Queiroz is a first year student at Northeastern University studying public relations and marketing. Originally from São Paulo, Brazil, she has lived in the United States for the majority of her life. She has been involved in journalism throughout her high school career, gaining recognition from the National Scholastic Press Association, the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, the New York Press Association, Quill and Scroll and more. When she is not writing, she enjoys thrifting, spending time with friends and family and exploring Boston.
Julia Egtvet

Northeastern '27

Julia Egtvet is a first year student at Northeastern University studying journalism and Spanish. She was born and raised in Seattle, Washington. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading, spending time with family, exploring Boston, and staying up to date with current events.