This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Visiting home again during the holidays is great, but it definitely doesn’t feel the same as it used to. After being used to living in a new city and calling your crappy dorm room “home,” it’s a big transition to travel back to the place you grew up in. I recall this time last year during Thanksgiving when all I wanted to do was go home to feel comfortable again. But now, as a second-year, being in my family’s apartment felt different; it felt as if I was a visitor. This feeling is normal, and I’m sure many of you have felt that way, too.

Whether it is running into people you didn’t want to see or not getting the chance to see the person you did want to, being home can cause a ruckus of emotions. Where I am from, everyone knows one another either personally or through friends of friends. During the time when everyone is home from their respective colleges, stepping outside of the lobby of my building allows for about a 99% chance of seeing an old friend, old classmate, or, honestly, anyone you’ve ever met. Those awkward conversations are inevitable, and it’s weird to think that at one time, those conversations wouldn’t have felt that way. 

During the semester, your life is constantly filled with academics, clubs, and friends, which can at times be pretty overwhelming. Over breaks, there is an expectation to relax, but, in reality, it can be hard to get all of the work you have to do out of the forefront of your brain. I am here to emphasize that taking time for yourself to rest and rejuvenate your mind is the most important thing you can do. On the other hand, we are unfairly expected as college students to continue to work during this time off by not only our professors but ourselves, too. Whether there is a final to study for or a paper to finish soon after break ends, there always seems to be something to complete or work on. Making sure you are prioritizing yourself and your right to take a break is very important as it will sincerely allow for more success in the future. 

The holidays showcase another time that illustrates the confusion with becoming older. Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or another holiday during the month of December, it always seems to be a little less exciting than when you were younger. Having to deal with your extended family’s awkward comments such as “Why are you wearing that?” or the most popular one, “How’s college?” can be a drag. My tip is to stay calm and avoid awkward topics. Simply move on and say, “Great, thank you” with a smile. Getting those interactions over with before it becomes over the top is essential. Every family dynamic is different, but trying to have the most festive holiday experience, even if it is just with friends, can be rewarding and feel amazing.

The good news is that the world keeps turning. Sooner or later you are going to walk around your college campus as an alumni and realize that college doesn’t feel like home anymore either. You’ll have found a new place where that feeling of safety and familiarity comes from. A little change of scenery is good for the soul even if it comes with uncertainty. Coming back home for the holidays can be weird, but in the end, it’s important to use this time to take care of yourself and embrace your home despite the apprehension.  

Valentina Swan

Northeastern '26

Valentina is a second-year journalism and business student from New York City. Besides reading and writing, she loves to take walks around Boston and spend time with her friends. Contributing to Her Campus is such a privilege and she is very excited to be a part of such an uplifting community.