Why I Hate Forever 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

When I walk into a Forever 21, I feel a tightness in my chest that I know comes from over stimulation. It takes a second for my eyes to adjust to the bright lights and the shininess of the white floor reflecting the glittery jewelry display. I want to keep my iPod in so I can listen to my own, more calming, music, but the heavy bass of whatever Rihanna remix is most popular this week drowns it out. Giggling 13-year-olds and piles of discarded clothes on the floor seem to surround me. After going up and down the escalators for what feels like hours, (first looking for clothes, then for an open dressing room) I finally get to try on the clothes, and there seems to be something off about every piece. What’s wrong with this lighting? Why is this polyester so itchy? This didn’t look like a crop top when I picked it out? Why would you make something with FAKE POCKETS, that’s so disappointing? No but really, what’s up with this lighting, I know my skin doesn’t really look that bad, does it? I leave feeling slightly sick and tired, like I just ate a not-so-great burrito too quickly.

Whenever I do end up buying something from Forever 21 (or as it’s sometimes known, “Forevs”) the clothes end up falling apart. Loose threads coming out of every seam of a dress, holes in shirts, and don’t even get me started on the pilling! I don’t think I’ve ever had an item of their clothing that lasted more than a year.

Forever 21’s ethical practices are less than fab too. They’ve been sued by some of their sweatshop workers over unfair labor practices as well as designers who claimed they copped their designs. The fast turnover and cheapness of the clothes also means that you’re more likely to buy more – and throw more away – creating more waste.

The family that owns the multinational chain, the Changs, are born-again Christians with an inspiring “American Dream” story. That’s great for them, but do they have to hide Bible scriptures on the underside of every neon yellow bag? To me, it feels sneaky and a little off, but they’ve recently started selling more religious shirts, so I guess they’re trying to spread the message. It would bother me as much if it wasn’t so funny.

The absolute worst thing about Forever 21 though is that despite all of this, I keep shopping there! I should know better, but I’m convinced they tricked me with the cheap prices and now I don’t know how to pay more than $20 for an item of clothing.  Or maybe it’s because I’m convinced I’ll find that perfect dress somewhere in the four floors of madness. Either way, I just bought this dress. You like?

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.