Why Does Studying Always Equal Food?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

One of my friends recently shared this picture with me.  While funny, yes, it got me thinking…Why does studying always make you hungry?! I seem to always be craving something while I am reviewing critical information. I like to pretend that it helps me study but I realize that is just something I tell myself to make me feel better and justify it. The next time your Calculus homework starts morphing into looking like a yummy snack take a step back, a deep breath and try these tips on for size:

1. Grab for a piece of gum – it keeps the mouth occupied and the jaw moving to mimic the sensation of eating
  2. Fill up that water bottle – sometimes the perception of hunger is actually thirst
  3. Eat some grapes – they are a perfect bite sized snack to bring along, they have the crunch as well as a sweet taste, and eating a whole bunch of those is not as guilt-causing as a bag of mini snickers (not that I know from personal experience at all!)
  4. Take mini breaks – walk around the library, do a few push ups or tricep dips off of your chair. The blood flow helps retain information and it keeps your mind off of munching

Learning to cope with stress now while we are still in school is key because after graduation, although we may not be taking regular exams, deadlines are still a very real thing.  Understanding what drives these cravings and what calms them (besides overeating) sooner rather than later will help set up a healthier post-graduation lifestyle.

For myself, yoga is relaxing and clears my mind to help me get what I need to get done.  Yet I may be known to randomly bust into yoga poses in everyday life, the library tends not to be the place.  Just closing my eyes and taking some deep breaths give me a bit of Zen while still amongst the stacks of medical journals.  Then I feel much more energized to get a full workout after I call it quits from studying.

After a long study session, return to your dorm/apartment and try this awesome mini yoga workout:
Start standing at the back of your mat (or a bath towel), close your eyes and just focus on your breath for a few moments. Open your eyes and reach your fingers down towards your feet, then walk your hands out into a plank (push-up) position.  Hold the plank and focus on the breath as the abs and body start to shimmy-shake a bit.  

Take your right foot off the floor and draw the knee in between your elbows. After holding for a moment, place your foot on the floor and turn the left foot at a 90 degree angle lift into Warrior II.  Keep the breath going, especially as the front leg start to shake.  Slowly place both hands back on the floor in plank and walk the hands back to your feet and roll the spine up to a standing position.  Repeat on the opposite side. Namaste.

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.