The ultimate sick day checklist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

You’ve probably seen the signs on the T or have heard the commercials that proclaim, “It’s flu season!” And if you haven’t seen those then you’ve certainly seen the red noses and heard the coughing from across class.  Being forced to spend so much time inside makes winter an unfortunately good opportunity for germ spreading and it’s likely that a sick day is in your future. A day spent on the couch in front of re-runs can be painful and boring, but with this Sick Day Checklist, you’ll be prepared to bounce back to health and maybe even enjoy your day off.

1. Chicken Noodle Soup is believed to have healing powers when it comes to sickness. In Boston and even around campus there are places to reach beyond the Campbell’s and Ramen you lived off of freshman year.  Pho and I  is my first stop when I’m feeling a sickness coming on. The restaurant offers small Thai and Vietnamese soups such as  Tom Kah Soup, a Thai style coconut soup spiced with galanga, lime juice, , tomatoes, scallions, mushrooms and cilantro with chicken or shrimp ($3.95). The spice of the broth always helps to clear my sinuses. Pho and I also serves up giant bowls of Pho, Vietnamese noodle soup. Try Pho Ga-their version of chicken noodle soup ($7.50). Pho and I offers delivery and take-out, which are perfect for days you just can’t leave the house.  Symphony Sushi, Au Bon Pain and Panera also offer an array of traditional and nontraditional soups just off of Huntington Ave.

2. Tissues are one of those items that you don’t think about buying until you need them. Stock up now at CVS because running out of tissues on a sick day can get messy.

3. Put down your coffee and embrace snuggling up with a cup of tea. If you don’t have a box at home, stock up on a variety at Whole Foods, Shaws or Stop and Shop. For tea connoisseurs, Teavana in the Prudential Center will give you your exotic tea fix.  If you get cabin fever on your sick day and choose to step out, Espresso Royale and Starbucks are  quick stops for a hot beverage.

4. Water. Your mom was right-drinking lots of fluids will help you get better.

5. By mid-afternoon, talk shows and re-runs of Friends may not be doing it for you anymore. Now is the time to get through all of those movies on Netflix you’ve been dying to see. If you don’t subscribe to movies online, head over to Blockbuster (235 Mass Ave.) and pick up some new releases.

6. Pump up your immune system with some  Vitamin C which is found in orange juice among other fruits and vegetables.  You can even make a fruit smoothie with strawberries and kiwis to squeeze in extra Vitamin C .  If you don’t have a blender, convince a friend to stop at Jamba Juice in International Village on their way home.

7. A sick day is a perfect excuse to lounge in pajamas all day. Since you won’t be leaving the house, sweatpants and a baggy tee-shirt are the perfect outfit for lounging.

8. Sleep. Rest is the best cure-all.  Being sick is a reasonable excuse for a mid-day nap…or three.

9. Make an appointment as the University Health and Counseling Service Center.  You can usually get same-day appointments. As much as you may dread visiting the doctor, a precautionary visit is smart to ensure that nothing more serious is brewing.

Embrace your day off and relax, but get well soon!