This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In the cutthroat world of television, casualties are inevitable. Networks have cancelled a handful of new shows over the past few months, and we’re bound to see more that don’t get picked up for a second season. Let’s be real: Some of these shows deserved to go (ahem, Selfie). Some tried to create something fresh (Manhattan Love Story with its internal monologues, and A to Z with its relationship timeline) but ultimately proved cliché or gimmicky. Others had decent storylines and character development (Gracepoint, Red Band Society) but in the end lacked the ratings to stay alive. While saying goodbye to your favorite new shows can be upsetting and frustrating, don’t take it personally—networks mainly care about ratings, and ratings don’t always reflect the quality of the show at hand.

It’s impossible to say what legacies these axed shows of Fall 2014 will have in the future. In truth, many probably won’t be remembered a few years down the line. However, there are many one-season shows that have surmounted their premature cancellations and become cult classics, continuing to entertain new sets of viewers. Below are some of those shows that didn’t deserve to go so soon. May they be an inspiration for 2014’s axed series.

My So-Called Life (1994)

My So-Called Life is the pivotal teen drama of the 90s. The show follows angst-ridden 15-year-old Angela Chase (Claire Danes) as she deals with parents, friends, boys, and other relatable high school issues. Jared Leto plays bad boy Jordan Catalano, Angela’s grunge heartthrob of a crush (and he has hardly aged in the past 20 years). Named one of TIME magazine’s “100 Best TV Shows of All-TIME,” the series has been praised for how it addressed serious issues (homophobia, drug abuse, adultery, child abuse, etc.) through ongoing storylines rather than one-off episodes, capturing the complicated reality of high school for many viewers. Despite its passionate fans, an online campaign calling for the show to be saved (one of the first of its kind), and the support of producers, the show ended after its first season: The demands of filming became too much for Claire Danes (who was busy with her film career) and some of the other young cast members. The series is currently available for free on Hulu.

Freaks and Geeks (1999)

Another one season show featured on TIME’s 100 Best TV Shows, Freaks and Geeks captured the humiliation, alienation, and confusion of high school in a humorous and relatable light. Set in the 80s, this comedy-drama focuses on straight A-student Lindsay Wier (Linda Cardellini, AKA Velma from Scooby Doo) and her nerdy little brother, Sam (John Francis Daley, AKA Sweets on Bones). Striving to shed her good-girl image and craft her own identity, Lindsay begins hanging out with the “freaks:” Daniel (James Franco), Ken (Seth Rogen), Nick (Jason Segel), and Kim (Busy Philipps). Sam spends his days trying to avoid bullies and gym class embarrassment with fellow “geeks” Neal (Samm Levine) and Bill (Martin Starr). Created by Paul Feig and produced by Judd Apatow, this show is a must-watch. Seriously, go on Netflix and watch this show immediately.

Undeclared (2001)

Apatow’s follow up to Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared is a sitcom revolving around freshmen at a fictional university in California. Even after ten years, college kids will find this show hilarious and relatable. The geeky kid in high school, Steven Karp (Jay Baruchel) is ready to have the time of his life in college. Hijinks ensue as he and friends Lloyd (Charlie Hunnam, pre-Sons of Anarchy), Ron (Seth Rogen), and Marshall (Timm Sharp) deal with all-too-familiar college topics: dating, sexiling, crazy roommates, rushing, etc. The banter and pranks between the four male suitemates are so realistic, as is their relationship with the girls down the hall (Carla Gallo and Monica Keena). As if this cast wasn’t strong enough already, the series features some amazing cameos: Freaks and Geeks favorites Jason Segel, Martin Starr, Samm Levine, and Busy Phillips; Amy Poehler; Will Ferrell; Adam Sandler…the list goes on! Sure, this show can be overly silly at times, but it’s awesome nonetheless. This one’s also on Netflix, so get watching! And, if you can’t get enough, check out this Easter egg from Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Firefly (2002)

Written and directed by Joss Whedon, this genre-blending series set in 2517 details the journeys of Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) and his rebel crew onboard the spacecraft Serenity. In this future universe, the US and China have joined forces to form a central federal government, called the Alliance. As the losers of a civil war, the Serenity crew must survive on the outskirts of society, traveling to a variety of planets and moons. While this show was a hit with sci-fi fans for its futuristic space setting, it also dealt with ever-relevant political, moral, and ethical issues. Although cancelled after one-season, the series has a strong fan following that allowed the franchise to expand to comic books, games, and even film: In 2005, Whedon produced Serenity, a continuation of the series featuring the same cast. So, if you enjoy space western science fiction dramas, add Firefly to your Netflix list.

FlashForward (2009)

Based on the novel by Robert J. Sawyer, this show concerns a mysterious global blackout, during which people lose consciousness and have visions of their lives six months in the future (April 29, 2010, to be exact). FBI agent Mark Benford (Joseph Fiennes) leads the investigation into the blackout, all while struggling to come to terms with his own flashforward and its effects on his family life. While plot-wise the series revolves around the enigma of the blackout, the show is also a poignant character study, focusing on various individuals’ responses to their visions and considering the age-old issue of fate versus free will. Moreover, FlashFoward aired in 2009 on ABC, the same time and place as Lost’s final season, and featured some familiar faces: Sonya Walger (Penny) and Dominic Monaghan (Charlie). Despite drawing in some Lost fans (myself included) and featuring a stellar cast, this show declined in ratings and was ultimately cancelled a few weeks before the final episode aired. It’s on Hulu though, so you have no excuse not to watch it.

Bunheads (2012)

Created by Gilmore Girls’s Amy Sherman-Palladino, Bunheads was the comedy-drama that ABC Family desperately needed (thank goodness Secret Life is over!). Broadway star Sutton Foster plays Michelle Simms, a Las Vegas showgirl who accepts the marriage proposal of admirer Hubble Flowers (Alan Ruck, AKA Cameron in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off) and ultimately ends up teaching at her mother-in-law’s small-town ballet studio. Her students include four young girls—Boo (Kaitlyn Jenkins), Sasha (Julia Goldani Telles), Ginny (Bailey De Young), and Melanie (Emma Dumont)—dealing with the turmoil of friendship, parents, crushes, and competition. Bunheads is sure to please Gilmore Girls fans: Michelle’s quick wit is reminiscent of Lorelai’s, and the show features a plethora of Gilmore Girls cameos, including Kelly Bishop (Emily Gilmore) as Hubble’s mother.

Camp (2013)

Camp was one of those borderline ridiculous, guilty pleasure summer shows, but it has its merits. Set at Little Otter Family Camp, the show focuses on camp director Mackenzie Granger’s (Rachel Griffiths) efforts to keep the camp afloat as the campers and counselors get into all sorts of trouble, fall in and out of love, and come to terms with some of the serious issues looming over their futures. Charles Grounds steals the show as Buzz Granger, Mackenzie’s teenage son who’s desperate to find, er, love this summer, while Thom Green adds weight to the series as Kip, a counselor-in-training whose leukemia has just gone into remission. Anyone who has ever been to or worked at a summer camp is sure to get a kick out of this show. Fun fact: practically the entire cast is Australian (the show was filmed in New South Wales).

Siberia (2013)

Few people would praise this show as a television masterpiece (if they even know what it is to begin with), but I had to add it to this list. Siberia was another show that aired on NBC during the summer of 2013, and it was quite unique: a mockumentary about a reality show gone wrong, it blended elements of Lost, Survivor, and The Blair Witch Project. Sixteen contestants are sent to Siberia (in reality, Canada) to compete in a Survivor­­-style reality show, but after the death of one contestant, things go awry and contestants wonder why the producers and crew aren’t intervening. They struggle to survive in the harsh Siberian winter and to uncover the mysteries of Tunguska. The show is shot from the perspective of a cameraman, giving it a realistic feel throughout. Unknown actors play the contestants, and they do a pretty convincing job: if you knew nothing about the series and tuned in mid-episode, you’d be convinced you were watching some messed up reality show. Sure, this show didn’t deserve an Emmy, but it did deserve a second season and resolution.

Jillian Ferrari

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: