Top Fall Spots to Check out in Boston Before Winter Hits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Though some may call me a little biased, having been a Bostonian for my entire life, I can confidently say that Boston has plenty to offer and plenty of beauty no matter what season it is. Winter brings lovely blankets of snow and warm city lights, spring brings poppy bright colors and a new air of pleasantry, and summer always brings boundless energy.

And then of course, we have autumn.

Boston, and all of Massachusetts—heck, all of New England—has endless opportunities for fall fun. With the season that brings us pumpkin spiced everything, reds, oranges, and dark browns, boots, pea coats, and some of the most breathtaking scenery there is to offer, also comes more than enough activities to keep you busy until next fall.

My top suggestion for your fall Boston excursion would without a doubt be the Arnold Arboretum. It always has and always will be one of my favorite spots in this city. Planted in the middle of Jamaica Plain and Roslindale, this hometown-favorite is owned by Harvard University. It has some of the most awe inspiring, rustic scenery you are likely to find in your lifetime—city skylines from the hilltops are unparalleled––and the pathways are lined with all types of green life. Whether it’s early morning or late at night, there’s something to appreciate here, and it’s the perfect spot for a mid day picnic, hike, or Instagram adventure.

Another well known spot, year round, is the ever popular Newbury St., Boston’s shopping glory. While this spot is great year round, I consider fall to be the perfect season for it—the outdoor sections of the restaurants are slowing down, but the weather can still cooperate when just cool enough. There are plenty of coffee and dessert shops—can you say Georgetown Cupcakes, anyone?—to keep one warm and satisfied, and there’s no time like fall to elaborate on your wardrobe. Turn in those short skirts for a few sweater dresses, maybe? (Hint: Second Time Around will save you more than a few bucks…take notes, ladies.)

Another spot, outside of Boston but well worth the trip, is Davis Farmland and Mega Maze in Sterling, Mass. Though it’s geared toward younger kids with a very interactive farm—you can roam and play with the animals, and even adopt some if you’d like—it’s great at any age for friend dates or real dates. Apple picking and pumpkin picking are a big hit, but their biggest attraction is their state of the art corn maze. Clear a few hours for this one!

These would be my main spots for all you newcomers to hit! Of course, there are countless adventures to be had, hundreds of spots to hit in the Bay State area, but these are the must visits coming from a native. Have fun and get planning, collegiettes!

Caitlin Walsh

Northeastern

Caitlin is a sophomore journalism major at Northeastern, looking to someday work for The New York Times, Rolling Stone magazine, Vogue....or pretty much any great paper or magazine, whatever comes her way. Born and raised in Boston, she finds it hard to imagine herself leaving, but wants to work in New York or California in the future, as well as do some big traveling. When she's not working on something new for HerCampus, she can be found writing for her school's paper or at club swimming practice, or possibly at one of her numerous jobs, including Victoria's Secret.
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!