Too Cold to Go Out? Here are 7 fun things to do instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

For most of us, going out fora night on the town with friends is a thrill. However, now that it’s getting colder in Boston, it’s harder to go out without dressing in thick coats, heavy boots and warm gloves. If you’d rather not spend your Friday and Saturday nights bundled up, I’d recommend staying in! Here are seven fun activites you can do on the weekend when it’s too cold to go out:

1. Order Delivery and Have a “Picnic” 
    1. Use DoorDash or UberEats to deliver food to your dorm or apartment, invite some friends over, and have a carpet picnic! You don’t even have to go out into the freezing cold to get your food, it’ll be delivered right to your door!
  1. Movie Night
    1. Who doesn’t love a good movie? Turn off the lights, snuggle up with some blankets, and binge-watch some movies! Streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and HBO Max have tons of choices — perfect for a movie night by yourself or with friends. 
  1. Card and Board Games
    1. Go old school and play a fun card or board game to fill up the time! Monopoly, Uno, Clue, Cards Against Humanity, Sorry!.. the list goes on and on! 
  1. Dorm Spa Night
    1. We all need some self care once in a while. Invite over some friends and have a spa night with nice nail polish, relaxing face masks, a chill music playlist and much more!
  1. Go to Bed Early
    1. It’s definitely a rarity to see college students getting a full eight hours of sleep every night, but to be honest, most of us need it. Take this opportunity to go to bed early and feel well-rested the next morning.
  1. Get Some Studying Done
    1. Most, if not all of the time, there’s always some studying or homework you can be doing. Spend an hour or two studying or doing some homework! This is a good strategy for spacing out your responsibilities, and not leaving everything until Sunday (we’ve all been there). 
  1. Catch Up With Friends And Family! 
    1. College students are incredibly busy, with classes, work, studying, and clubs. It’s hard to find time during your busy schedule to communicate with family and friends back home. Take advantage of this time to call up your Mom or FaceTime a friend back home. You definitely won’t regret it.
Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)