This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I am sure us women already know how dangerous it can be to go out. It’s scary how a “fun girls night” can turn into a disaster in an instant based on someone’s violent actions. Moral of the story, women should stick together. Many times we hear our parents say over and over again “make sure you stick together with your friends when you’re out!” And though repetitive — I’ve found it to be true. I always would tell my mom “I know, I know. Of course I will stick with my girls.” But, the more I go out and witness the horrifying acts of men against women along with hearing all the stories, the more scary and real this all becomes. I understand how upsetting it is to live in a world where women cannot trust the people around us when we go out to have fun at night — our guards always have to be up now in order to ensure our safety.  

The first (and most important) tip I can give is to be aware of your surroundings. You can never be too careful! Make sure you keep your friends close, and if you’re feeling uncomfortable, the best bet is to leave. I’d recommend keeping an eye on who is around you. Also know that most of the time, your gut is right if you suspect something is up! 

Secondly, guard your drink. Keeping your hand over your drink if you’re dancing on the dance floor with a huge group of people can ease your mind when it comes to the thought of someone possibly slipping something into your drink. I understand that once you get a drink it can be a habit to turn your back on it when talking to someone, but the best bet is to just get a new drink to be safe! Most importantly, just look out for everyone around you including yourself. If you are with friends you need to keep an eye out for them as they will be keeping an eye out for you. 

Another piece of advice I can give is to travel in well known areas. It’s never a smart decision to go places you don’t know, intoxicated, late at night– especially in a group of all women. If you are alone, move with purpose. Walk with confidence, always keep an eye out, always have your phone out and most importantly always be ALERT! If I am ever in a situation alone where I do not feel safe, I call up my mom, dad, sister or friend! Unfortunately, we live in a world where we need to look out for ourselves along with other women to make sure we can stay out of dangerous situations. 

Stay safe ladies!

Isabella Heilbronn

Northeastern '25

Isabella is a third-year student majoring in Communications with a minor in Marketing. She uses Her Campus as her space to share life stories, personal experiences, and create relatable, diary-like articles. She's passionate about connecting with other women through her writing.