Time to Embrace Life as a Husky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The week has arrived that I have been dreading all summer, and probably subconsciously for most of my life: The first time I have to admit to myself that I am officially a senior in college.

Based on the total number of credits on my degree audit, I have been at senior status since the completion of my last final in April. But until now I haven’t officially owned up to the reality that my time at Northeastern is dwindling faster than ever.

Sunday was my last move back to college as an undergraduate student. Wednesday is the last first day of school (which I am not participating in because I am on co-op until December). After commencement in May, there will be no more stir-fry from West. No more late-night cramming for an exam in Snell. No more group fitness classes at the Marino Center after a long day on co-op.

Although we all enjoy making fun of the freshmen – dressed from head to toe with Northeastern gear and lanyards dangling from their necks – I have to admit that I am slightly jealous of them. Even though most of them are clueless about college life and will do anything to find even the lamest party Friday night, they still have four, five, even six years until they reach the point where I am now. On Sunday night in the dining hall, two of my friends and I witnessed the innocence of freshmen year. A group of at least five new students stood in front of the stir-fry grill, patiently waiting for their dinners. No one had the heart to save them from more embarrassment by telling them they should find a seat and watch for their numbers to light up on the board. I was amused at their confusion and excitement for college, and envious of their upcoming experiences learning how to survive college life. We were them once, back when crossing Huntington Avenue was comparable to jumping out of a plane. I never really knew if I would make it to the other side alive.

When I look back on the past five years, though, I am content with how I have spent my life as a Husky. I have taken full advantage of the co-op program, experienced the world through a Dialogue of Civilizations program, attended football games (when we had a team), cheered on the men’s hockey players from the Dog House, lived in various residence halls around campus, and tasted mostly every food and drink option available in the dining halls.

The year already seems to be flying by, and I have been here for a mere three days. But with that said, I plan to enjoy the next eight months and appreciate all that Northeastern has to offer. I advise the new freshmen do the same. Even though it seems like decades from now, you will be a senior someday. So start early and embrace Northeastern: Join a club. Rush a sorority. Try out for a club sport. Make a diverse group of friends. Apply for a Dialogue of Civilizations program for the summer. Spend an entire semester abroad. Research possible co-op positions that interest you. Explore Boston.

Appreciate your college days because you can’t get them back. It’s easy to get caught up in the stressfulness that accompanies college life. But don’t let it become so unbearable that you lose sight of the new chapter opening in your lives.

Traveling to Jordan and Turkey on a Dialogue of Civilizations program this summer was an unforgettable experience that opened up my eyes to the world. Here I am with members of the group in front of the King Hussein Mosque in Amman, Jordan.

|
|
|

I encourage freshmen to become involved with clubs at Northeastern and to explore Boston. Here I am singing karaoke as a freshman in Quincy Market with three new college friends.

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.