This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Now that the weather’s getting warmer and school is winding down, summer is on everyone’s mind.  Nothing sounds better than being able to spend your day in the sunshine and the pool. But, remember that although summer might be your favorite season, too much sun and chlorine can damage your hair and skin. Follow these tips to keep your hair and skin looking healthy even in the summer!

As much as everyone enjoys being in the summer sun and getting a tan, the sun can harm your skin if you don’t protect it the right way. Even if you don’t think you get burnt in the summer, sunscreen is necessary for everyone. Sunscreen keeps your skin from burning and protects your skin from drying out. Make sure to pick a sunscreen that’s waterproof and choose a sunscreen that has an SPF of 15 or higher. The sun can harm your lips as well, so be sure to use a lip balm that has also has an SPF of 15 or higher to keep your lips protected.

The summertime can leave your face looking shiny, so buy an alcohol free toner to keep your face from looking greasy. Toners like this one from Neutrogena will keep your face hydrated and looking fresh.

Your hair becomes dry in the summer from being exposed to the sun and chlorine, so it’s best to avoid putting heat on your hair. This means no blow dryers, flatirons, or curling irons. Let your hair air-dry and put it in a messy bun or a classic French braid.

Before you go swimming, rinse your hair and comb some conditioner through it. Your hair can only absorb so much, so by wetting it before you jump in the pool, the less chlorine it will be able to absorb. Right before you step out of the shower, rinse your hair with cold water. Cold water helps to seal your hair’s cuticles, leaving hair looking shiny and feeling smooth.

Weekly hair masks are extremely important in the summer in order to keep your hair hydrated and healthy.  Here are some homemade masks to try:

Olive oil treatment: Take a quarter cup of olive oil and microwave it for 30 seconds. Divide your hair into sections and apply the warm oil to your scalp, working your way to the ends of your hair. Cover your hair with a shower cap and let the olive oil sit for 30 minutes. Then remove the cap, shampoo, and condition your hair.

Avocado treatment: You’ll need to crush a ripe avocado and mix it with an egg yolk and a spoonful of olive oil. Wet your hair with warm water and pour the mixture over your hair. Massage it into your scalp and downwards toward your ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap and use a blow dryer to blow hot air over it. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes and rinse your hair with warm water. Then, shampoo and condition your hair.

We all love the summertime, but remember to use these tips to protect your hair and skin from the damage that sun, chlorine, and heat can bring. Keep your hair and skin looking and feeling healthy so you feel your best too!

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!