Step Fest 2011: An Event You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

For the past 37 years, Northeastern’s Iota Gamma chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha has been hosting Step Fest. It started out as a small event on Krentzmen Quad meant to bring Northeastnern’s commuter students to campus, to get them to interact with the community, and to introduce them to Greek life.  Since then it has transformed into a major event that fills Matthews and includes not only performances from National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) fraternity and sorority members, but also from community groups and high profile musical artists.

The event is a competition for the Divine nine performers; sororities against sororities, fraternities against fraternities. Each organization involved chooses someone to represent them on the judging panel, and there is always one person not affiliated with any of the competing organizations who is on the panel as well. Performers spend months getting ready for Step Fest, some groups start practicing in November. Each team has a designated Step Master who is in charge of the routine and works on creating extravagant moves with that “wow-factor” to get them the win.

This year, three sororities and three fraternities will be preforming as well as two other community organizations. Since 2007, Alpha Kappa Alpha has also been bringing musical artists to make the event even more fantastic, and this year hip-hop artist Wale will be preforming. If you haven’t heard his stuff, check him out here because he is amazing; 90210 is my personal favorite.

Alpha Kappa Alpha’s Step Fest chair, Shahnaz Singh-Kanda, says, “The main goal is not for our organization to put on an event, but to get other organizations involved.” They have volunteers from all over campus and the community helping out, and the volunteers get to see an amazing show as a bonus. Both Singh-Kanda and the AKA’s President, Danielle Johnson, encourage all students to attend.  

I myself cannot wait to go, check out the facebook event for more information.

Step Fest 2011 is on Saturday April 16th, doors open at 11 AM and tickets are $9 for NU students and faculty, $14 for general public.

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!