Style > Beauty

Slicked-Back Hairstyles: A Step-By-Step Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

We all have seen hairstyles sweep the internet and then quickly fade away. Yet one hairstyle seemed to appear rather suddenly and has become a staple. The slicked-back bun, ponytail or even braid has remained a frequently used hairstyle for many, being a chic and timeless look that pairs well with any outfit. As a slicked-back lover myself, I took the time to explore which products work best on my hair. Here are my results, and my step-by-step guide to achieving the perfect slicked-back style. 

STEP ONE: 

The first and maybe most obvious step is to have greasy hair. It works better on greasier hair because of the texture and the grip. For me, that usually means 4-5 days since washing. Regardless of what day brings greasy hair for you, it is my personal recommendation to start there to make it easier when you are slicking it back. If you want to do a slicked-back style on non-greasy hair, I would recommend using a mousse or pomade to achieve the texture you would otherwise get naturally. 

STEP TWO: 

Using a comb, part your hair in the center, and apply the product of your choice. It can be a hair mask you let rest in your hair since it’s almost wash day, a hair gel or a pomade. Whatever you pick, make sure to apply it evenly throughout your hair so you do not get product buildup in one area. My personal choice is hair gel because I feel it holds down my flyaways the best. If you do choose gel, I would urge you not to put an immense amount of it on because then your hair will get crunchy once the gel has dried. 

STEP THREE: 

Pull your hair back and find your favorite positioning. If you want a low bun, pull your hair back and lower towards your neck, or higher if you prefer a high bun. When you are brushing your hair back, the key thing in making it as smooth as possible is to use two brushes. You first want to use a thicker boar bristle brush to get out any knots and bigger bumps. Then, you want to get a thinner boar bristle brush to smooth your hair and eliminate any small bumps the thicker brush didn’t get.  If you feel your hair is not holding, feel free to add a little more product at this step. Then, secure your hair into a ponytail using whatever hair tie is best for you based on your hair type. If you have thicker hair, I recommend using the thicker elastics so it holds up longer. 

STEP FOUR: 

If you are going for just a ponytail, you are all set! This step is not required, but if you want a bun then you take another hair tie (sometimes two) and wrap your hair into a bun. An alternative to that is a braided bun, where you first braid your hair and then put it into a bun. It looks very elegant and is one of my personal favorites. If you aren’t feeling either of those, you could go with a classic braid too.

STEP FIVE: 

Last but not least, smooth over any flyways with your chosen gel, hairspray, pomade, oil or even a “glue-like” hair stick. My product recommendations are listed below. Once you have done this you are all set to go with what I think is the classiest hairstyle ever!

MY FAVORITE PRODUCTS:

1. dae “Cactus Fruit 3-in-1 Styling Cream”
  • Price: $28.00
  • Smells delicious! 
  1. Olaplex No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Hair Mask
  • Price: $30.00
  • Helps with heat damage, breakage, & dryness!
  1. L’Oreal Paris Studio Line Clear-Minded Clean Gel
  • Price: $4.72
  • Does not make hair crunchy, smells good, and is very affordable!
  1. PATTERN Double-Sided Bristle Brush 
  • Price: $20.00
  • Two brushes for the price of one & smooths my hair very easily!
  1. Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Hair Oil 
  • Price: $30.00
  • Is on the pricier side, but is so worth it. Really helped strengthen my hair!
  1. Samnyte Hair Wax Stick
  • Price: $12.99 (currently on sale for $8.99)
  • Best way to get all the difficult flyways! A staple product in my routine!
Paola Ovies

Northeastern '27

Paola Ovies is a first-year political science and economics major with a concentration in law and legal studies. She decided to pursue political science when she discovered her passion for all things law-related. She felt it would be only right to pair it with economics following her strong interest in corporate/business law. Apart from school, Paola enjoys taking trips to Trader Joes and shopping around the city. Since she grew up in Miami and then Cape Cod, she loves to watch sunsets any chance she gets. She also loves anything fashion-related, whether it means planning outfits or discussing current trends. Paola also loves to travel any chance she gets, and since Spanish is her first language, she especially loves Madrid.