This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It is often easier said than done when it comes to shutting down self-criticism. Sometimes I find myself slipping into the habit of letting my inner critic narrate my life for days on end. During these periods, it feels like I am stuck in a cloud of negativity. Before I know it, I find myself criticizing my productivity levels or overthinking slightly awkward interactions. Stopping this spiral of negative self-talk can feel nearly impossible, but it is an important skill to develop in any self-growth journey.

In all aspects of life, I consider myself a perfectionist. Of course, this personality trait has its pros and cons. On one hand, I can thank my perfectionism for a strong work ethic and detail-oriented mindset. On the other hand, it is abundantly clear that my search for perfection has often led me to loads of self-criticism. For years, I have tried the age-old advice of ‘positive thinking’ to fight against my inner critic. However, this solution feels like slapping a band-aid over a hole in the wall: comically pointless. 

It is difficult to completely eradicate a mindset so intertwined with my nature, so I have recently resorted to a new method. Instead of working to eliminate my inner critic, I am instead striving to gradually tune her out. It may appear silly, but taking this less aggressive approach to self betterment makes it seem much more achievable. When it comes to silencing my self-critic, I have developed a few fool-proof strategies that leave me calmer and more positive every time I try them. 

Strategy #1: Have a Get-Ready-With-Me Dance Party

On days where I wake up slightly on edge, the first thing I do is put on upbeat music. Lip-syncing to Taylor Swift as I complete my morning routine always puts me back on track to start my day with a clear head. To spread the good vibes even further, have your roommate join you! Extend the party to the kitchen and jam out as you make your morning coffees. 

Strategy #2: Call a Long-Distance Confidant 

Connecting with a best friend, partner or family member that you don’t get to see on a daily basis will surely brighten your day. Whether you want to talk through your stresses or chit-chat about a completely unrelated topic, it is nice to have a reminder that loved ones are in your corner even across state boundaries. These calls help me get out of my own head and gear myself towards a more gratitude-based mindset.  

Strategy #3: Walk Aimlessly and See Where It Takes You

As spring approaches, exploring Boston, or whatever city you find yourself in, is a great way to flush out negative thoughts and remind yourself that sunshine exists. I personally think the most fulfilling walks are the ones that begin with no concrete plan. I simply listen to my favorite playlist or podcast and walk to my heart’s content. These walks usually lead me to a coffee shop or book store, so I don’t shy away from buying myself a little treat as well!

Although these are my tried and true strategies to combat negative self-talk, it is also important to remember that growth is never linear. Keeping a healthy mindset is rarely as easy as simply ‘being positive,’ so it is important to identify the little things that make your day feel brighter. Maybe my inner critic will never fully disappear, but grounding myself with fun habits and routines can make silencing that critic the slightest bit easier. 

Julia LaRosa

Northeastern '25

Hello! I am a third year student at Northeastern University majoring in Computer Science and Cognitive Psychology. In my free time, I love to read, paint, and explore Boston. I joined Her Campus to reflect on my own experiences and write articles that hopefully resonate with others!