Sidewalk Catwalk: Grammy Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

For this week’s Sidewalk Catwalk, we’re trading in the streets of campus for the red carpet of the 2013 Grammy’s.

Okay, so you may not be attending the Grammy’s anytime soon, but dressing formally is essential for collegiettes sometimes and we’re going to show you the best and worst dressed from the Grammy’s to give you some ideas of what to do and don’t.

The Grammy’s are not all about the music. You’d be lying if you said a part of you didn’t watch to see the sexy dresses and outrageous costumes worn during performances. This year, however, there was a dress code. That’s right, CBS kindly asked all Grammy attendees to cover up their, um, body parts (you know which ones I’m talking about).

But let’s be realistic, did the network actually think these show-stopping women were going to listen? Of course not. Although some stars I’m going to talk about followed the rules, the stars were sexier than ever last Sunday and they knew damn well what the dress-code was.

Let’s start with Beyoncé:

First off, Queen B went a bit unconventional this year and wore a pantsuit and we love it. While she’s still fresh in our minds after that phenomenal Super Bowl performance, Beyoncé keeps the attention on her in this sophisticated Osman Yousefzada pantsuit. The black and white are a great contrast and she looks anything but masculine. If you’re unsure about wearing one, at least try one on and see how it looks, you may be surprised!

[pagebreak]

While I’m all for showing off what your mama gave you, just like everything in life, it’s all about moderation. Take Rihanna for example. This rough-around-the-edges girl showed the world a softer side of her with this red custom Azzedine Alaia dress. The high neckline assures no wardrobe malfunctions will occur and it’s classy, but the sheerness is sexy in a mystifying way.

[pagebreak]

If you’re looking for a more revealing look, a dress like Alicia Key’s is the way to go. Not to quote her own song, but really, this girl is on fire. She also wore a Azzedine Alaia dress and it was a stunning, body-hugging, dominatrix-like gown that is perfect for a bolder look.

[pagebreak]

There were some stars however who failed at the whole sexy thing. J.LO’s dress, by Anthony Vaccarello, had a slit that was far too high up, and a not to mention, a total rip off of Angelina Jolie’s at the 2012 Oscars. Not only did it look like a bed sheet, but copying Jolie’s infamous dress? Not cool. If you’re dying to wear a dress with a slit, make sure it’s at a respectable length.

[pagebreak]

Kelly Rowland’s Georges Chakras Couture dress looked like someone clawed her and parts of her dress were stripped off. This dress was not only too revealing, but it looks like the designer accidentally forgot to add fabric in some places. If you’re looking to show some skin, this isn’t the way to do it. A few slits here and there are fine, but make sure the entire dress doesn’t look like it’s about to fall apart.

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!