This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s the beginning of the end: senior year is a time of sad endings but more exciting beginnings. College is the start of something new; you leave your high school baggage behind and are now the college version of yourself. It’s crazy to think that my best friends and I went through most of our lives without knowing each other, and now our very presence in one another’s lives enriches us beyond comparison. It’s even crazier to think that the time will be coming to an end.

These were the most magical four years of my life. Through the good, the bad, the friends made, the friends lost, the mistakes made and the lessons learned, I am so grateful for my time I spent at Northeastern University. From MIT frat parties, late-night eats, karaoke nights, pre-games, laughing loudly in public, going to brunch—whatever it is, the memories of us all being together will stay with me forever. 

I’ve made mistakes. I’ve lived and I’ve learned. After my first semester of freshman year, I thought I knew it all. But in reality, as a fourth year, I now know I had so much to learn. 

My college experience is defined by different eras and the people who’ve stuck with me through these various phases and the ones I’ve met during them. During freshman year, I was in my “approach everyone and know the entire grade” era. And then, I had my camp counselor era. And then, my journalism era. My Rome study abroad era. My “I went to Amsterdam for Halloweekend!” era. My Harry Styles era. And, of course, the long-lasting Barcelona era. I’m currently in my academic era, putting everything into my schoolwork and extracurriculars.

College is about exploring yourself and having different phases but staying true to who you are through it all. I’m lucky I had the time to try new things. If you do have the time and opportunity, I’d highly recommend putting yourself out there. It’s okay not to know exactly what you want to do and navigate different interests. So, sing at karaoke. Do a sport. Run a marathon. Ask that person to get coffee with you. Dance like nobody is watching. Trust me, it’s all worth it. 

A core part of my college experience are the friends I’ve made. I didn’t meet my best friends sitting in my dorm’s common room, as being a freshman in 2020 didn’t even permit me to have a common room in my dorm. One day during freshman year, I saw a bunch of freshmen sitting in a large circle on Krentzman Quad, and I thought, “Hey, what if I just joined them?” Plus, I was in my hyper-social era, so it just made sense with the persona. I asked a boy in the circle, “Can I join you guys?” and that boy who said yes and welcomed me with open arms. He is now one of my best friends to this day.

Another time this school year, I was at Curry Student Center waiting for my Kigo when I saw a girl with a cute outfit. I turned to her and said, “I really like your outfit,” and we started talking from there. Now, we’re very close friends. It didn’t matter that we were both upperclassmen and had our own friend circles; if you vibe, you vibe. If you meet someone you vibe with, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve known them.

When I was studying abroad, I met a mutual friend; after knowing each other for two weeks, she invited me to stay at her apartment with her so I could stay in Spain an extra week past my apartment lease. We only knew each other for two weeks, but our bond seemed to defy the constraints of time. We spent a week completely inseparable, embracing the sunny days and indescribable nights of Barcelona. My point is, as you navigate college, don’t be afraid to make the first move. Put yourself out there. If you meet someone and feel a connection, pursue that friendship. 

As amazing as my friendships are now, my social life hasn’t come without challenges. I’m no stranger to friendship breakups, which has certainly not been easy. I had so-called best friends betray me and hurt me in ways I never thought would happen. There’s no sugarcoating it: friendship breakups suck. But I remind myself that friendships ending is not a reflection of who I am as a person, and it doesn’t mean I’m not worthy of beautiful friendships. And sometimes, people grow apart, and that’s okay. I also realized that you deserve to be surrounded by people who truly value you for all that you are. 

Another key aspect of my college experience was studying abroad. I truly mean it when I say the six months I spent in Barcelona were some of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Moving to a new country and knowing essentially nobody really forced me to look outside of my comfort zone and establish a life with all new people in one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Every day, I walked the gothic streets by myself, wandered along the beach and became deeply immersed in a city rich in celebrations, diversity and love. It was like living in a fantasy, detached from my life in Boston and completely submerged in a new world with new friends who soon became family. Studying abroad, wherever you choose to go, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience another culture with many other students in the same boat. Northeastern prides itself on its global experience, and they really do have a myriad of opportunities to choose from. If you’re unable to study or co-op abroad, just remember that the world is still your oyster, and there are so many ways to travel where you can meet new people and explore if that’s what you want.

People always say, “It’s okay to not know what you want to do when you get into college,” but it really does seem like everyone knows what they want to do at this school. However, that isn’t always the case. It can be so easy to fall into the LinkedIn trap of comparing oneself to others, but it really is okay to not know what you want to do. It’s also okay to change your mind. You don’t like your co-op and want something different? Your major isn’t for you anymore? Rethinking your extracurricular involvements? That’s all totally okay.

I promise you, it’s a journey, and you’ll figure out what you want. But don’t be afraid to consult with peers, professors, advisors and professionals to learn more about the career options you might want to pursue and the ways in which to go about them.

If there’s a cause you’re passionate about and there’s no student organization for this specific cause, don’t be afraid to start it yourself. I, for example, noticed that there was no gun violence prevention organization on campus and decided to start one called Students Demand Action. Now, other students are able to come together around this shared cause.

My point is, follow your passions in college and be the very best version of yourself. You deserve to thrive and have a wonderful four years. In these four years I’ve loved, dated, made new friends, faced heartbreak and the competitive job world, and can safely say I am so proud of the person I have become. 

Alexa Grayson

Northeastern '24

Alexa is a Human Services and International Affairs student who is passionate about social change and enjoys using creative writing as an outlet to express herself. Alexa also does work in sexual violence prevention and gun violence prevention, starting a chapter of Students Demand Action at Northeastern. A highlight of her time at Her Campus was planning a self-defense event and getting to write articles with the support of a strong and empowering group of women. Alexa also loves to travel and had the opportunity to spend an amazing six months in Barcelona, and cannot wait to travel more.