This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, which means it’s time to live vicariously through fictional characters. If you’re looking to feel butterflies in your stomach or swoon over people that do not exist, here are five books for you.

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang

The Kiss Quotient might just be my favorite romance novel of all time — I can still remember the hours of sleep I lost in anticipation of the two protagonists getting together. This genderbent Pretty Woman story follows Stella, an econometrician with Asperger’s who hires an escort to help her learn the ins and outs of sex and relationships. The escort in question is Michael Phan, a half-Swedish, half-Vietnamese tailor who is basically a hotter version of Daniel Henney. Over the course of this arrangement, Stella and Michael find themselves falling for each other. If you’re looking for an #OwnVoices novel with the fake dating trope, then The Kiss Quotient is perfect for you!

Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore

If you’re someone who rewatches Pride and Prejudice at least once a year, then you might be interested in Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore. This historical romance is set in 19th century England and follows Annabelle Archer, a poor vicar’s daughter who becomes one of the first women to earn a place at Oxford University. In return for her scholarship, she must join the women’s suffrage movement and convince Sebastian Devereux, the powerful Duke of Montgomery, to support their movement. Although Annabelle and Sebastian initially clashed heads, their chemistry is undeniable. Read the book to find out how they overcome their differences and fall in love.

Red, White, & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Red, White, & Royal Blue is a book that quickly gained popularity and critical acclaim among avid readers when it first came out. The praise is 100% deserved. Set in an alternate universe where a woman won the 2016 presidential election, the story follows the blossoming romance between Alex Claremont-Diaz, the First Son of the United States, and Henry, the Prince of England. Their relationship starts off rocky when they clash at a royal wedding and are forced into a PR friendship for damage control, but the relationship turns genuine as feelings develop. They are forced to keep their love a secret because it could ruin their reputations and upend two nations in the process. I became invested in Alex and Henry’s story since Page 1, and I know you will too!

Prince of Shadows by Rachel Caine

If you’re a fan of retellings and are familiar with Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, then you should definitely check out Prince of Shadows. This criminally underrated book follows Romeo and Juliet from Benvolio Montague’s point of view and provides some insight into why the events of the original story happened as they did. There is a romance that develops between Benvolio and Rosaline Capulet, but the romance in this book is much more subdued. I have never viewed Romeo and Juliet the same after reading this book, and quite honestly, I prefer it over the original work.

Sidenote: Keep in mind this book is rated PG.

The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

If you don’t consider yourself much of a reader, I would recommend looking into graphic novels instead. The Prince and the Dressmaker is the first graphic novel I ever read and I absolutely love it. Accompanied by stunning illustrations, the story follows Sebastian, a prince who enjoys wearing dresses and transforming into the stunning Lady Crystallia at night. Assisting him in his transformation is his dressmaker Frances, one of the only people that knows his secret. Over the course of the novel, Sebastian and Frances’ relationship slowly blossoms into something more. I really love how the story remained lighthearted even when tackling hard-hitting topics. It’s a quick and easy read, so check it out when you get the chance!

Jovanne Li

Northeastern '23

Jovanne is a 4th year student studying business and communications at Northeastern University. In her free time, she likes to listen to music and read an unhealthy amount of fanfiction. She also loves boba, thrifting, and trying new restaurants in Boston.