Pure Barre vs. The Bar Method: Which Studio is for you? 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Now that the warm and sunny days of summer are over, fall is upon us and winter is lurking just around the corner. If you are like me and live somewhere that is starting to get chilly, running outside or going for a nice walk may not be an option to get exercise anymore. Gyms and different types of studios for activities such as yoga, barre, and boxing are getting increasingly more popular, as many people enjoy the flexible class offerings and the option of having an instructor teach the class. Over the past few months, I have had the opportunity to go to barre classes at two different studios (which have studios all over the United States): Pure Barre and The Bar Method. In this article, I will be going over the similarities and differences between the two to help you make the best choice for your exercise studio. 

In case you didn’t know, barre is a type of work that incorporates elements of yoga, pilates, and ballet. It combines different types of movements that will use muscles all over your body that encourages both flexibility as well as strength training. Barre is different from other types of workout because it focuses on using your own body for strength training, rather than various types of machines as one may use in a normal gym setting. Barre focuses on using the bar in the studio for different types of exercises and stretches. Fear not if you aren’t flexible, as the barre instructors modify their workouts and positions for people of all fitness levels. Barre is great for low impact and for people who want to build their endurance levels but in a gentle manner. Barre is soft on the joints, unlike running or heavy-lifting. 

During this past year, I was able to do over 60 classes between the two studios and was able to learn the differences between the two barre chains. After reading, I encourage you to try a free introductory class at the studios and see if barre is a good fit for you! 

1. The Atmosphere 

When walking into the studios, you can automatically feel the difference between the two. The Bar Method focuses on more of an airy, light concept with lots of windows and lots of light colors. They have a lush, beautiful white carpet in the studio that makes it feel bigger.

When you walk into Pure Barre, the studio focuses more on darker tones, which is a dark grey carpet that is not as plush and comfortable but is easier to gain traction on with your socks for moves such as planking or push-ups. The Bar Method tends to play lower music during exercises while Pure Barre is often playing top hits and is louder. For The Bar Method, the instructor demonstrates moves in two different spots during class, one of which is at the front of the room and one which is in the middle of the room. At Pure Barre, the instructor typically stays in one spot during the exercises, unless they are going around correcting studio members’ moves. 

1. The Instructors 

When you go to The Bar Method, all of the instructors will know your name as soon as you walk through the door. During class, they make sure to use your name to correct you if you are doing something that needs a bit of correcting. For instance, they may say something like “Lindsey, point your toes a bit outward and lower your shoulders.” While this intimidated me a bit during my first class, it actually gave me the opportunity to know who the other studio members were and adjust myself accordingly if I saw another member was being corrected if I was doing the same thing. It gives the instructor the opportunity to correct all of us during exercise demonstrations while they may be at the front of the studio. That being said, an instructor at The Bar Method will also come up to you and make physical corrections too. At Pure Barre, they do not use names at all to correct people, but they do come up to you to make physical modifications if you are doing a move incorrectly. 

1. The Equipment 

The Bar Method uses different mats and hand weights for class. Usually, 2-3 pound weights are used for moves at the beginning of class, and then individuals will use 3 or 5 pound weights for some of the other moves. The Bar Method also has yoga straps and three different types of mats to put on your back or glute muscles during class.  I like that The Bar Method has 2, 3, 5, 7, and 10 pound weight options to use. Pure Barre typically only has 3 or 5 pound weights for members to use but they also use things such as a foam box to jump on, yoga straps, yoga mat and sliders. 

1. Class Types 

Pure Barre typically offers three different types of classes: Classic, Reform, and Empower. Classic is the normal version of barre, while reform uses sliding discs and more core and balance moves, while empower is more cardio-based, focusing on raising your heart rate and uses more full-body movements. They all last about 50-55 minutes. They also offer ‘pop-up’ classes that can include fundraisers or classes that focus on a certain body part such as abs or legs. 

The Bar Method has four different types of classes including Bar Method, Bar Method Express, Bar Method + Restore 15, and Bar Advanced. Bar Method is a 60-minute classic barre class, while Bar Method Express is the shortened 45-minute version of the same class. Bar Method + Restore 15 is the classic barre class with the last 15 minutes of class focusing on slower movements and calming breathwork. Lastly, Bar Advanced classes are classes that only members who have taken over 20 classes can participate in, as the movements and techniques may be a bit more challenging. The Bar Method also has ‘pop-up’ classes that can focus on a certain body part. 

Overall, during my experiences at both studios, I have noticed that Pure Barre’s classes are typically more challenging and fast-paced while The Bar Method classes go a bit slower and are more accepting of various fitness levels. While they both offer modifications for individuals, Pure Barre is probably not a studio for an individual who needs severe modifications. The Bar Method offers more options for individuals who may not be able to do all of the moves, but Pure Barre is definitely more fast-paced and will offer the individual more of a calorie-burning option. I found that at Pure Barre I burned between 50-100 calories more per class. However, it is important to note that your main reason for working out should not be solely based on how many calories you are burning, but rather how your body feels afterward. I felt equally empowered after attending classes at both studios. 

1. The Cost

When comparing the cost at the Boston studios, I found that The Bar Method is slightly more affordable. 

For a regular membership, The Bar Method costs about $165 a month. If you are a student, it costs $125 a month. 

At Pure Barre, membership is $200 for a regular member, and $180 for a student member. 

Overall…

Pure Barre offers faster-paced exercises, with more intense moves and different varieties of training along with a bigger price tag and less range with fitness levels, while The Bar Method has slower-paced classes with more options for various fitness levels and cheaper membership options. Find which one is best for you by trying a free class at each of them. 

Overall, both of the studios were great and I felt a clear difference in my body and mind while attending classes. I love how barre impacts my spirit and I strongly encourage you to try a class if you can!

Lindsey Parcell

Northeastern '23

Hi! I'm Lindsey Parcell, and I'm currently a Nursing Student at Northeastern University. I am originally from New Mexico. My favorite things are green chile, a good book, and the color pink.