Phoebe Farber ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Phoebe Farber
Hometown: Carmel, NY
Major: Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship, Minoring in Psychology and Organizational Leadership Studies
Year at NU: Senior, graduating December 2013

What is Career App? 
CareerApp is the “Common App for jobs” – candidates create a single, strong job application and can apply to multiple positions with one click.

How did you become involved? 
I had the idea for the company when I was applying for co-op’s. All we get to submit is a resume, which I felt wasn’t enough information to make myself stand out to employers. I was also frustrated that I didn’t know enough about the companies I was applying to, I didn’t keep track of where I applied, I never got feedback, and filling out different applications on career portals was frustrating. I wanted to create a product to fix a lot of these pain points while helping employers recruit college students.

What is your position with the company? 
I’m the Founder & CEO.

How will this app help students? 
Our focus is to allow new grads to showcase their past achievements and positive traits, in and out of formal work experience, and express their potential. Employers then receive a robust application and also have the opportunity to search the candidate pool to find candidates. We don’t believe that a resume is enough and we’re addressing pain points for candidates and employers. We’re also just starting to build a Career Fair tool that’s centered around CareerApp and helps students and employers connect before, during, and after the event. So we’re excited about all that’s ahead!

How does the app work?
You can visit our site, CareerApp.me, register, and complete our well-rounded application. We bet that it’s not like any other job application you’ve filled out! From there you can share the profile that’s generated and/or go apply for jobs at participating companies.

What advice would you give to freshman about making the most out of the NU experience?
I would recommend really thinking about what you want out of being at NU and keep an open mind as you go along. There are so many majors, clubs, events, and opportunities at Northeastern that your time here is really what you make of it. When I first came to NU I looked through the list of clubs and kept an eye on the MyNEU calendar and looked for posters and it really helped me find interesting things to participate in.
What do you think your greatest accomplishment at Northeastern has been?
Since I don’t graduate until December, I’m hoping that my greatest achievement is perhaps yet to come! As of now, I think that pitching my company to President Aoun and Dean Courtney was pretty noteworthy.

What are your favorite things to do in Boston?
Since I’m pretty interested in entrepreneurship, I love going to Intelligent.ly classes and other tech events. I also really love Boston Harbor cruises and exploring the city.

NOTE: Check out this Her Campus write-up about CarrerApp.me! http://www.hercampus.com/life/…
Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!