Oscar Buzz: Our Predictions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Movie-lovers: it is almost time.  And when I say movie lovers, I am not referencing those who consider themselves movie lovers, but in actuality are fans of nothing more than the occasional chick-flick. I’m talking those of you who are into those respectable, often long, complex movies that make you think, laugh, and cry, and are critically acclaimed.

It’s Oscar Time.

It’s time to bring out the printed ballots and put our prediction skills to the test, because tonight brings to us the biggest movie award show of the year. Before the esteemed academy’s decisions are made known, lets do a little prediction of the big guns.  Because lets be real, no offense to the countless efforts that went into the less talked about categories, but what is even the difference between sound mixing and sound editing, and how many of your typical college students see documentary shorts?

So how do we predict such a thing? The Academy has been known to throw us for a loop every once and awhile.   There are multiple facets playing a part in one’s own  prediction-making process: personal biases, having read countless other predictions online, particular movie’s fare at the Golden Globe’s, number of nominations movies received, and so on.  If you got money or worse, personal pride, staked on these ventures, you better do your research. I’m no expert, but I’ve done my homework myself, so check out my picks in the next few pages!

[pagebreak]

BEST PICTURE
Nine quality films are up for the biggest award of the year:

1. “Life of Pi,” a cinematic spectacle, available in 3D, about a boy who survives a shipwreck and is stranded on a rescue boat with a tiger.
  2. “Amour,” a foreign language film telling the story of an elderly couple and their relationship.
  3. “Lincoln,” a historical movie about Lincoln’s life and actions during the time period when the anti-slavery amendment was trying to be passed.
  4. “Argo,” a suspenseful tale of the Iraqi hostage crisis.
  5. “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” the story of a young girl who faces obstacles like her father’s failing health, an epic storm, and her village’s remoteness.
  6. “Silver Lining’s Playbook,” a kind of mixture between comedy and drama of two people with some mental issues who find solace in each other.
  7. “Django Unchained,” an action film about a freed slave and his adventures as a bounty hunter.
  8. “Zero Dark Thirty,” a dark film following a femalel CIA agent on her quest to find Osama Bin Laden
  9. And finally, “Les Miserables,” the musical extravaganza of life in France during the revolution, following a man being haunted by his past decision to steal a loaf of bread.

MY PREDICTION:
It’s lookin like Argo.  Strangely enough, Argo was snubbed in the best director category, but it fared extremely well at Golden Globes, and has a very high audience and critical rating.

Photo

[pagebreak]

BEST ACTOR:

1. Bradley Cooper- Silver Linings Playbook
  2. Daniel Day Lewis-Lincoln
  3. Hugh Jackman- Les Mis
  4. Joaquin Phoenix- The Master
  5. Denzel Washington- Flight

MY PREDICTION:
The chances of anyone beating Daniel Day Lewis’ portrayal of Lincoln are slim to none.  He WAS Lincoln.  If he doesn’t win, gasps will most likely be heard across the country.  This seems like the most predictable category as of late.

Photo

[pagebreak]

BEST ACTRESS:

1. Jessica Chastain-Zero Dark Thirty
  2. Jennifer Lawrence-Silver Linings Playbook
  3. Emmanuelle Riva-Amour
  4. Quvenzhane Wallis-Beasts of the Southern Wild
  5. Naomi Watts-The Impossible

My Prediction:
Probably Jennifer Lawrence, who also fared well at the Golden Globes.

Photo

[pagebreak]

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

1. Alan Arkin-Argo
  2. Robert De Niro-Silver Linings Playbook
  3. Philip Seymour Hoffman-The Master
  4. Tommy Lee Jones-Lincoln
  5. Christoper Waltz-Django Unchained

My Prediction:
Harder to tell, but probably either Tommy Lee Jones or Christopher Waltz.  Personally, I’m pushing for Christopher Waltz for his hilarious job in Django.

Photo

[pagebreak]

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

1. Amy Adams-The Master
  2. Sally Field-Lincoln
  3. Anne Hathaway-Les Mis
  4. Helen Hunt-The Sessions
  5. Jacki Weaver-Silver Linings Playbook

My Prediction:
Another one where I would be pretty shocked if I chose wrong: Anne Hathaway’s set for the gold on this one for her amazing job as Fantine.

Photo

[pagebreak]

BEST DIRECTOR:

1. Steven Spielberg-Lincoln
  2. Ang Lee- Life of Pi
  3. David O. Russell-Silver Linings Playbook
  4. Michael Haneke-Amour
  5. Benh Zeitlin-Beasts of the Southern Wild

MY PREDICTION: Steven Spielberg

Photo

I’ll do a little follow up after Sunday to see how my predictions pan out, and to discuss the fashion which is undoubtedly going to be worth looking at!

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!