Nini Nguyen: Going Green with the Boston Celtics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Nini Nguyen is flying high. As a member of the Celtics cheerleading squad – known as the Green Team – Nini can be found at every home game, stunting and tumbling, cheering on Boston’s favorite basketball team. After she graduated from Northeastern last year with a degree in biology, Nguyen switched uniforms, trading in her red and black one for a slightly more well-known green and white.

How long have you been cheering?

I’ve been a cheerleader for 11 years and this will be my third season on the Green Team.

Were you a part of a cheerleading team at Northeastern?

Yes! I cheered for three and a half years, back when there was a football team and back when we had 14 guys on the team. I like to think we were a big deal back then.

What was your favorite memory from cheering?

During my sophomore year, the NU cheerleading team made it to finals at NCA Nationals and was able to compete on a big band shell stage in Daytona Beach. We got 3rd place in Co-Ed Division I and were on ESPN. It was the most exhilarating time! On the Green Team, my favorite memory was cheering for the finals games against the Lakers in 2010. The excitement of the crowd was just amazing!

Do you have another job in addition to cheering?

I do – I work fulltime at a Biotechnology company in Cambridge.

How did you get the job with the Celtics?

After my cheerleading coach retired at NU, I quit the cheerleading team and joined Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority my Junior year. I still missed cheering, stunting, and tumbling, so I tried out my senior year. Several of my teammates joined the Green Team – so it’s nice to have a lot of familiar faces to work with.

A little (un)known fact, there were at least 17 NU cheer alumni that have been part of this team.

What was it like when you first joined the team?

When I first joined the team, I had to learn a lot about time management and balancing my last year of college. I managed to keep up with their schedule, had a part time job, did great in my classes, and was a Vice President of Academic Affairs in my sorority. I honestly feel that everyone at Northeastern can learn how to maximize their time to do what they are passionate about.

Do you travel with the team?

No, we appear at home games and run game day promotions and crowd leading.

Has cheerleading helped you in other parts of your life?

There was a big casting call to featuring 10 Model Students for the Fall 2010 Vineyard Vines Back to School Catalog. I was asked to make up a cheer on the spot as part of my audition – luckily my improv skills worked and I was selected with nine other great students to be part of their fun campaign. I was able to be a fantasitc representative for Northeastern and had awkwardly large posters of my face in the Prudential store.

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.