Emily in Paris. (L to R) Lily Collins as Emily, Ashley Park as Mindy in episode 209 of Emily in Paris
Photo by Stéphanie Branchu/Netflix

Never have i ever: Senior addition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Going into college, I had a lot of expectations for what I would accomplish and who I would be as a senior. Due to Covid, among other factors (like setting unrealistic expectations to begin with) I did not check everything off the 18 year-old me’s list. So, below I have compiled a list of things I have never done and things that I have done…that I didn’t really expect to do.

1. Never have I ever…studied abroad. 

In high school, I figured that as soon as I got the chance I would immediately go to Europe, ideally for an entire semester. I imagined that I would end up somewhere in France eating a croissant and taking pictures in front of the Eiffel Tower. Covid restrictions played a part in my decision to stay in Boston for all 4 years. But, honestly, I loved being here with all of my friends and couldn’t imagine being away from them for 6 months. 

1. I have…completed two co-ops. 

At first, I was a little weary about the idea of co-ops. I mean, going and working in a corporate office with very little experience sounded like a daunting task. And, it was. But, it prepared me for the road ahead and helped me to decide what I actually wanted to do after college, which is to become a copywriter at an advertising agency.

1. Never have I ever…been to the MFA. 

Even though I have attended a school based in Boston for 4 years, I still haven’t fully explored the city. I have no excuse for having yet to visit the Museum of Fine Arts, conveniently located a couple of blocks from campus. I think it is interesting to reflect on how many places I meant to go to but just forgot to. I am hoping to remedy this by graduation. 

1. I have…found my favorite thrifting spots. 

One thing that I did manage to do was find my favorite places to thrift. As a college student who doesn’t have a huge budget for new clothes or apartment decor, thrifting has been a huge help. Specifically, I enjoy going to the Goodwill located in Cambridge and SOWA open market. 

1. Never have I ever…been in a relationship. 

Now, this would probably be a huge shocker for high school me. Every show and movie has taught us that we have to find our soulmate in our teenage years, and that if we don’t we are already behind. But, what I learned is that (as cliche as it sounds) I really needed to take the time to get to know myself and grow into the person I am today before trying to add another person into the mix. With that being said…

1. I have…been on an awkward first date. 

As an attempt at “putting myself out there” as my grandma would say, I decided to go on a first date with someone I met on a dating app. It was not great, but also not as horrible as I had anticipated. But boy, was it awkward. However, at the end of the day, I learned that it’s okay to try things that make you uncomfortable, and I got a good story out of it that my friends and I still laugh about today.

1. Never have I ever…slept through an 8am. 

This isn’t really a goal that I didn’t achieve, I mostly just wanted to flex this achievement. I am not a morning person in the slightest, but somehow, I ended up with an 8 am pretty much every semester of college. And, more, unfortunately, these 8ams were always my worst subjects like Statistics and Accounting. But, other than circumstances such as visiting home in Chicago, I made it to every one of those classes (you can ask my roommate).

1. I have…met my best friend. 

Like most high school seniors, I had heard the freshman year roommate horror stories. Somehow, people always got stuck with someone who was the exact opposite of them and had to put up with them for a whole year before getting to choose someone they actually like. However, I decided that this would not be my experience. I scoured the Northeastern class of 2023 Facebook page in the hopes of finding someone relatively compatible with me. But, what I found was much better. A girl had posted a description of herself, which included her love for the boyband One Direction. That girl later became my roommate of 4 years and my best friend. Lastly…

1. Never have I ever…regretted going to Northeastern. 

This huge decision I made when I was only 17 years old turned out to be one of the best ones I have ever made. Between the invaluable experiential learning structure, the gorgeous changes of the seasons, and all of the amazing people I have met during my time here, I couldn’t have chosen a better school for me. I hope to make the best of the remaining time I have left before graduation in the spring. 

Aisling Deane

Northeastern '23

Aisling is a fourth-year business major (marketing concentration) with a writing minor at Northeastern University!