NEU Sidewalk Catwalk | Oct. 10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

In honor of last week’s kick-off of College Fashion Week in Boston, I figured the perfect place to scout out this week’s fashionista was at the show-stopping hit itself. Plus, a piece about collegiette formal wear is always essential.

Collegiettes especially have plenty of reasons to dress up – whether it’s a night out with the girls or a date to the Top of the Hub- there’s nothing we love more than putting on a dress and heels (although I usually regret the heels part at the end of the night).

Claudia Frau, a freshman psychology major and fellow Her Campus NU staffer, wore an elegant yet fun outfit to College Fashion Week and definitely dressed to impress. Her LBD (little black dress) was not only practical, but an essential go-to piece that every girl should have in their closet. It can easily be dressed up or down – perfect for any formal or semi-formal event. Claudia paired her LBD with a gorgeous statement necklace and belt. Big statement necklaces make such a simple piece pop and give the dress a little something extra to attract attention. A belt also helps to add a little oomph to a plain dress. Her shoes (my favorite) were simple black suede platform pumps. If you can’t handle the heel, try a wedge or even a pair of ballet flats. Flats can tone down the dressy-ness,and allow you to wear the dress to tons of other events that aren’t formal enough for heels.

Here is Claudia’s look, head-to-toe: little black dress – Lissa Porrata (PR boutique), $40; statement necklace – H&M, $29.95; shoes – Steve Madden, $100. So collegiettes, next time you have to get all dolled up with little time to prep, make sure to be have an LBD on hand with a great necklace and fabulous shoes – and have fun!

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!