My Review of October’s Most Anticipated Albums

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you’re anything like me and mark album release dates on your Google Calendar, you probably know October has been full of highly anticipated releases from cult fan favorites. Rising star Noah Kahan, 11-time Grammy winner Taylor Swift, and the established rock band Arctic Monkeys all dropped new, original work this month. 

Here’s what I have to say about the new releases:

“Stick Season” by Noah Kahan

Noah Kahan’s third studio album received a lot of initial anticipation after its first single and title track, “Stick Season,” became a late summer TikTok anthem following its release on July 8. As a casual Noah Kahan fan over the years, I was excited to see him gain attention from a broader audience, particularly in the Northeast. Set in the transition period between fall and winter, this album reflects on similarly bleak themes of growing up–homesickness, trials in relationships and seeking mental health help. Kahan leaves the listener feeling seen, inspired and dignified by weaving these themes with delicate acoustic guitar and strong, belted vocals. With its storytelling and personal reflections, “Stick Season” is a beautiful reminder that no one struggles alone, and it definitely deserves a listen.

My Top Tracks: “All My Love,” “Northern Attitude,” “Strawberry Wine”

“Midnights” by Taylor Swift

Already breaking the record for most Spotify streams in one day, Taylor Swift’s newest album “Midnights” brings back her more mainstream pop sound from the pre-“folklore” era. While I’m not a huge Swiftie myself, I had high expectations for this album but I, unfortunately, felt a bit let down. Regardless, Taylor’s songwriting skills combined with Jack Antonoff’s brilliant production remain unbeaten. “Midnights” is a unique reflection on Swift’s perception of herself as well as how she is perceived by others, and the album has messages that many of us can relate to, especially college students. While it’s definitely not my favorite, I can’t say that I regret pre-ordering the vinyl.

My Top Tracks: “Maroon,” “Labyrinth,” “Lavender Haze”

“The Car” by Arctic Monkeys

As Arctic Monkeys’ first new release since 2018, “The Car” has been highly anticipated by longtime fans since it was announced back in late August. And it does not disappoint. Featuring incredible vocals by lead singer Alex Turner, dynamic instrumentation from a full orchestra, and a loungy yet personal feel to each song, “The Car” stands out in the modern rock landscape. While I’ve only become a fan of the Arctic Monkeys recently, I can say that this may be my favorite of their work thus far. From the villainous sound of “Sculptures Of Anything Goes” to the swanky groove of “Hello You,” each song has a distinctly different energy that contributes to the overarching theme of the album: love and doubt. Listening to this album feels like an intimate one-on-one with the band and truly transports the listener to a new world. It’s definitely not one to miss this month.

My Top Tracks: “There’d Better Be A Mirrorball,” “Sculptures Of Anything Goes,” “The Car”

Katie Tschoepe

Northeastern '25

Katie is a second-year Bioengineering major at Northeastern from Dallas, TX.