This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I started my remote co-op (cooperative education) in July as an IT Project Assistant at a biopharmaceutical company in Cambridge. As a Management Information Systems (MIS) and Healthcare Management & Consulting major, this role was my number one choice. I was super excited when I was offered a position, but once COVID-19 cases in the U.S. started to rise, I was concerned that the company was going to tell me they couldn’t support the co-op program anymore. If that had happened, then all the hard work I had put in to finding my co-op was going to fly out the window. Thankfully, my co-op started like planned and it’s great! …Kind of. In the past few months, I’ve realized some pros and cons of my remote co-op and these are the most defining:

Pros: 

1. I can roll out of bed exactly at 8:00 A.M. and start working immediately. 

2. I can decide my own work hours. 

Photo by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

3. Because I’m living at home with my parents, I’m saving a lot more money than if I was still in Boston. 

4. I get to spend more time with my family. This isn’t something that I have been able to properly do since starting college. 

Cons: 

1. I’m not actually getting the real office experience that comes with a real job—including the commute to work. 

2. Communication online is much more difficult, and I have a harder time gauging my coworkers’ reactions and feelings. 

3. Networking is infinitely harder. Watercooler talk and side conversations just aren’t possible unless you schedule a very on purpose, one-on-one conversation over Zoom. 

Woman with curly hair waving and saying hi to someone through her laptop.
Photo by Yan from Pexels

Some tips I have for any future students that will be working from home for co-op is to create a schedule and try your best to maintain it. Take a walk in the morning and call it your “morning commute” if that helps. If you’re sharing a space with multiple people, set some ground rules. But most importantly, if you are experiencing Zoom fatigue, be sure to take breaks. Good luck!​

Lucy Zhai

Northeastern '22

Lucy Zhai is a 3rd year Northeastern student double majoring in Management Information System (MIS) and Healthcare Management & Consulting. She loves exploring new cities, trying new restaurants, and watching Netflix.
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.