My Jewish Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year…for everyone else. Christmas songs are on rotation in stores, on the radio, and cluttering my newsfeed. The Christmas season is a rough time to be Jewish. As a member of the tribe, I have the joy of choosing between three versions of the Hanukkah Song or I Have A Little Dreidel. I don’t expect the world to subdue their celebration of Christmas and make December an equal opportunity month for us Israelites. In fact I commend Northeastern and the city of Boston for putting up menorahs, albeit ugly ones.

I know Hanukkah sounds more promising than Christmas, present wise. Adam Sandler claims “Eight CRAZY nights” but I haven’t celebrated Hanukkah with my family since I came to school, and we ditched the eight nights of gifts years ago. This is actually one of the first years I won’t be spending my holiday studying for finals. I’m no Grinch, just a girl stuck in a gentile world.

The holiday season is a bit confusing for me, and not just because every time I hear the word “Noel” I turn around thinking someone is calling my last name (Nobel) and the same occurs with “Hana” and Hanukkah. In some ways I feel like I’ve succumbed to the cultural majority and ditched my December showing of any Judaic pride. I partake in Christmas “holiday” pollyanas, I’ll stop studying to watch Elf and I’ve sent out dozens of Christmas/”holiday” cards during the past 4 years. I’m the one who put up all the decorations in our apartment (I live with 3 non-Jews) and it was I who advocated most for a real tree. I’ve been known to nosh on my fair share of candy canes and I even own an ugly Christmas sweater, which I wear each year to my hometown friend’s Christmas Eve party.  My brother, also Jewish, dons a full Santa suit to that event, and my mom wears an elf hat.

However, I do wish it were as easy to get excited about my own holiday as it is about Jesus’ birthday. “Isn’t Hanukkah like a Jewish Christmas?” I’ve been asked. Oy veh…not quite. It actually came first, but I bet the commercialization aspect was an attempt by the Jewish community to control jealous children from kvetch-ing too much.

So this year, while you eat Christmas ham, I’ll be asking my brother to pass me the pork lo mein.  Would I like to run downstairs in my pajamas and find that some overweight bearded man has delivered the red Kitchen Aid stand mixer I wanted? Hell yes. But for now I’ll enjoy Chinese food and a movie, also hoping for a white Christmas and enjoying an empty highway.

The real miracle of Hanukkah this year will be if I can make it eight days surviving only off of potato pancakes and applesauce, and if I can find my VHS copy of Rugrat’s Chanukkah before 2012. And for now, I’ll maintain my hybrid Jewish/pseudo Christian December identity and hope that I can convince Obama to put a Hanukkah bush covered with driedels next to our national tree next year.