Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

My Go-To Trader Joe’s Grocery List as a Dorm Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As a student who lives in a dorm without a kitchen and only a microwave and a fridge, I struggled during my first semester of college trying to find good food without having to cook. I had those lazy days where I didn’t feel like going to the dining hall and just wanted a delicious, cheap alternative to the mediocre dining hall food. Ever since I got to Boston, I’ve only gone to Trader Joe’s for my groceries and will never go anywhere else. It’s cheap, it has good food, and it’s within walking distance from my dorm, so it really can’t get any better than that. Even though I’ve only been going for about 6 months now, I’ve bought more than enough items from there to know what’s good and what’s not. Now, in my spring semester at Northeastern, I think I’ve got a pretty good no-cook grocery list full of snacks, meals, and yummy desserts. 

I want to start this list off with my go-to snacks that never fail me:

White Cheddar Corn Puffs

I’m starting strong with my current favorite snack at Trader Joe’s. These corn puffs are basically like Pirate Booty but so much better and they come in a huge bag. I literally end up eating the whole bag in one sitting so be careful because they’re extremely addictive. 

Oven-Baked Cheese Bites

Okay, I just started eating snacks like cheese crisps this year, but I genuinely eat them religiously now and will never go to the grocery store without getting them. These cheese bites from Trader Joe’s are the perfect snack when I’m craving chips, and I like to think they’re a bit healthier, so that’s a plus too! I specifically get the cheese bites with the black summer truffle but either flavor is the perfect go-to. 

Buffalo Style Chicken Dip

This is possibly the best dip I’ve ever tasted. Its creamy buffalo flavor paired with the perfect amount of chicken really hits the spot, and I’d honestly eat it straight out of the container if that was socially acceptable. As another option though, I pair it with the Grainless Cassava & Coconut Tortilla Chips that, of course, are also from Trader Joe’s. 

Cotton Candy Grapes

If you have never tried cotton candy grapes before, just hear me out. When I first heard of them, I was a bit taken aback because I was unsettled by the flavor combo and by the fact that they somehow got grapes to taste like cotton candy (I still don’t understand how they managed to do so, but that’s besides the point). These are the best, and I mean THE BEST, grapes you will actually ever taste. I mean, grapes are perfect, to begin with, but this flavor combo is out of this world. So definitely pick these up on your next trip to Trader Joe’s and I promise you won’t regret it. 

Now moving on to the meal section of my go-to grocery list: 

Pork Gyoza Potstickers

I have one word for you. YUM. These potstickers can be cooked in a variety of different ways, including being microwaved, which is why they are on my list. Besides, they are absolutely delicious. Pair them with literally any sauce that Trader Joe’s offers ( reasonably) and boom, you have the perfect dinner. 

Gnocchi al Gorgonzola

As another microwaveable meal, this gnocchi really exceeded my expectations. The creamy sauce hits the spot and is definitely the best part of this easy and tasty meal. Although it is nothing that compares to Boston’s North End, it definitely will do for now, for a dorm student on a budget. 

Linguine with Pesto & Tomatoes

I know microwaveable pasta may not sound like the most appetizing meal to you, but it’s definitely worth a try. It has just the right amount of pesto, and the pasta surprisingly tastes really good! To be honest, the fact that the tomatoes are microwaved did freak me out a bit, but once I got past that, it became one of my favorite frozen meals. 

Caprese Wrap

This meal is a bit different since you have to make it yourself, but it’s by far my favorite and, of course, you can get all the ingredients from your local Trader Joe’s. To make this, I get the Corn & Wheat Tortillas and spread some of the Trader Giotto’s Pesto Alla Genovese on it. Then, I put some tomatoes, mozzarella, and a little of the Trader Giotto’s Glaze on top, fold it in half, and boom, the perfect lunch. You could also substitute the tortilla with bread and it would be the perfect sandwich!

To finish off my go-to grocery list, I have a couple of my favorite desserts that I like to eat as midnight snacks: 

Chocolate Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert

This is possibly my favorite chocolate ice cream of all time. It’s made with coconut milk that complements the chocolate extremely well and is the perfect snack when you’re craving something sweet.

Gone Berry Crazy!

These dark chocolate covered strawberry pieces are yet another chocolatey dessert, but oh so delicious. I could definitely eat the whole box in one sitting and wouldn’t be ashamed of it. Definitely pick these up on your next trip to Trader Joe’s. 

Olivia Cordeiro

Northeastern '25

Olivia is one of the Her Campus Northeastern's events coordinators and majors in Criminal Justice with a minor in Law and Public Policy. She currently lives in Maine and loves outdoorsy stuff (skiing, hiking, etc.), crocheting, and boba!