This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

For years, Valentine’s Day has been the bane of my existence. How could there be a day dedicated to love and relationships when there are so many people who can’t relate to those notions? Unsurprisingly, I happened to fall in said category. Thus, every Valentine’s Day was treated as just another day of the year. Maybe I would eat an extra Hershey’s Kiss or have a friend send me a cheesy pick-up line to make me laugh, but that was about it. However, this year everything is different… I have a boyfriend. 

This time I actually have to celebrate Valentine’s Day and, truth be told, I’m currently learning exactly how to do that. Are there supposed to be presents? Is it ok to get a guy a rose? I know I’m already off to a rocky start. Apparently in Boston, if you want to make a dinner reservation on Valentine’s Day, you should probably book it in the first week of January. In that case, I think we might just have to create a romantic take-out dinner—because nothing screams “I love you” like Uber Eats. 

I tend to be an unconventional kind of girl, so I decided to give my boyfriend a few surprises while also trying to donate to charity. Through some of the greek life organizations on campus, I was able to buy him a public serenade from Beta Theta Pi and a rose delivery from Delta Zeta, all whilst the money goes to several charities of the organization’s choice. Romantic? Not really. Funny and a good way to give back? Yes. 

At the end of the day though, Valentine’s Day should be celebrated however you want. It’s okay to think outside of the box and do something different than the “norm”. For my boyfriend and I, we just really enjoy spending quality time together and making each other laugh, and I like that our relationship doesn’t need a fancy restaurant or a box of chocolates to do so. This Valentine’s Day, I am just excited to be celebrating it in a way with someone I really love.

woman holding red heart
Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash

Rania Kalaaji

Northeastern '22

I am a current third year at Northeastern University studying marketing and supply chain management. I enjoy listening to music, watching sports, and exploring Boston. A fun fact about me is I am originally from Minnesota!
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.