This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

I didn’t start playing video games until this summer over quarantine when I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Nintendo Switch. Just as I was starting to look for a new game to play in September, Supergiant Games released Hades, which was recently nominated for Game of the Year by The Game Awards.

Hades is a rogue-like action video game; you play as Zagreus, the son of Hades, who is trying to escape from the Underworld in order to reach the surface. With a variety of weapons to choose from, and the aid of the other Olympian gods and goddesses, each game run is intense and adrenaline-inducing. Every game run starts from the same point, in the House of Hades in the Underworld, and Zagreus must battle through many chambers of enemies and three main sections to successfully reach the surface. With each defeat, Zagreus must start his journey to the surface from the very beginning.

Besides the main goal to escape, there are many small things that add to the overall experience of the game. You can build relationships with other characters such as Achilles and Cerberus and get to know your extended family of Olympus. You can unlock ways to grow stronger to increase chances of escape and survival. You also have the opportunity to make renovations to the House of Hades, with customizable curtains and rugs, which is a fun addition outside of the main gameplay.

One of my favorite aspects of Hades is the game-play style – everything is random. After a weapon of choice is chosen, much of the rest of the game is up to luck. The enemies, chamber layouts, and helping Olympians are all randomized, making each run unique. This characteristic of the game makes each run just as exhilarating as the last. Though each escape attempt has the same end goal, there is never-ending opportunity for new Olympian combinations. No run is the same — making Hades engaging and addicting to play.

The experience of playing Hades is amplified by the superb voice acting of each character. Between runs and during encounters with a variety of characters, there is dialogue that helps the storyline unfold. The dialogue reveals side stories and backstories that make Hades feel like a real world. Each character has their own voice, which matches with the personality of each Olympian and Underworld resident. These voices make the story more engaging as Zagreus uncovers more about the Underworld and those living in it.

I didn’t expect to enjoy Hades as much as I do. When I first purchased it at the recommendation of my sister and a few online reviews, I didn’t even think I would even like it that much. The gameplay is very different from past games I have played and loved, but about two months after its initial release, I am still reaching for Hades every time I pick up my Switch.

Hades is a game I highly recommend to anyone who wants to play an exhilarating action game with simple mechanics. The nostalgia of Greek mythology from reading the Percy Jackson series when I was younger is a bonus. Though many best-selling games were released this year, Hades has to be my favorite game of the year.

Tiffany Yang

Northeastern '22

Tiffany Yang is a third year Health Science student at Northeastern University.