Meet the Staff: Erin Kelly, Vice President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Our third writer in our “Meet the Staff” series is Erin Kelly, Vice President of Her Campus Northeastern. Erin, a senior at Northeastern, is also a field hockey player on Northeastern’s club team, an unashamed fan of the Disney Channel and an editorial intern for Boston’s Dig Boston. Erin talked to Her Campus NU about her winter break plans, her stint as a foreign correspondent, and what famous BravoTM housewives she’s following on Twitter.

Why I love Her Campus
I love magazine-style journalism and the topics featured on the site–it’s like the Cosmo for undergrads. Plus, Her Campus Northeastern has a great group of writers, photographers and graphic designers, and being part of the group is a fun way to engage with the Northeastern community.

My writing experience
While I have a LOT, my favorites include traveling to Amman, Jordan and Istanbul, Turkey, where I acted as a foreign correspondent, covering the secret world of dating in Amman and Internet censorship in Istanbul, as well as interning for DigBoston.com, where I get to cover fun and wacky topics–like a brewery that makes jewelry out of the metal from their old kegs.

My favorite holiday tradition
My family usually goes to cut down our own tree on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. We bicker and banter over which tree we think is the best, end up getting in a fight about it, and ultimately the tree my sister picks wins. Always. We take a family photo that will be on next year’s Christmas card, and then my dad cuts the tree down. My sister and I yell “TIMBER!” every time, and then my mom buys us all hot chocolate. We drive the 2+ hours home praying that the tree stays securely on top of the car.

My winter break plans
I will be traveling home to New Jersey to catch up with my friends and family, hopefully visiting NYC to see the giant tree and getting one or two ski sessions in. Oh–and watching Elf and A Christmas Story.

My celebrity crush
Channing Tatum. He may not be much of an actor, but he sure is a looker.

I’m currently obsessed with…
The Hunger Games! My sister got me into reading them over Thanksgiving break and even though the books are slightly disturbing (but equally thrilling,) I can’t get enough.

My guilty pleasure
The Real Housewives–of New Jersey, of Beverly Hills and of New York. They’re petty, loud, catty and outrageous but I love them anyway. And I follow them on Twitter.

The winner of the Cappy’s vs. BHop debate is…
I’m no expert on this topic, seeing as most of the food I’ve consumed by either of these venues is after 1a.m.–but I think I have to go with Cappy’s.

Five things a Northeastern student should have on their bucket list
1. Study abroad or go on a Dialogue of Civilizations
2. Co-op in a different city (New York, Washington D.C., Chicago–the possibilities are endless)
3. Play broomball (slipping, sliding and making a fool out of yourself on the ice is something you may never get the chance to do again after your college years)
4. Go see the Boston Marathon — and don’t be one of those obnoxious drunkards that gets in the way of the runners. Just go and experience the madness, costumes, and the hard work/dedication of the participants. And cheer for them!
5. Go on a bar crawl in Fanieul Hall