Meet the Court: 2013 Homecoming Queen Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Pooja Shetty

Year: 4th year

Hometown: Austin, TX

Major: Architecture

Organization you represent: Sigma Kappa Sorority

Why you are running: A lot of people keep asking me what I will get out of being Homecoming Queen. My answer? The honor of knowing that others felt that I embody what it means to be a Northeastern Husky. I make time to be involved, manage my heavy architecture workload, and keep a positive attitude no matter what I’m going through if it means putting a smile on the faces of my fellow Huskies. I am a first-generation American, came all the way from Texas to go to school here, lived abroad, worked my first co-op, and have given back to the Boston and Northeastern communities. The best part of being in royal court so far has been people’s reactions upon learning I’m running for homecoming queen. Knowing that there are people who think I’d “make the perfect homecoming queen,” or “got so excited” when they found out I was running has meant the world to me even if I don’t end up winning. Also, helping my sisters and I win second place in trivia using my knowledge of obscure Northeastern facts was great :)

Best Northeastern Memory: My summer as an orientation leader in 2012! I got to work with some of my favorite people in the world, AND helped usher in a new generation of Huskies.

Fun Fact: I live life on the Kristen Bell scale.

Name: Kelly Overmyer

Year: Junior

Hometown: Glen Ridge, NJ

Major: Physical Therapy

Organization you represent: Delta Zeta

Why you are running: I thought it would be a fun opportunity to get to know new people and proudly represent my sorority and my school.

Best Northeastern Memory: I was an orientation leader during the summer of 2011 and that was one of my best experiences. I loved helping the incoming students, working with the other OLs, and exploring Boston.

Fun Fact: my favorite animal is a teacup pig.

Name: Selena Obelinas

Year: Junior

Hometown: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Major: Architecture

Organization you represent: Alpha Epsilon Phi

Why you are running: I am running for Homecoming Queen because I want to positively represent AEPhi and the Northeastern community, which have both presented me with unforgettable experiences, given me lifelong friends and memories, and shaped me in to a better person.

Best Northeastern Memory: I can’t even begin to pick just one. Everything from joining AEPhi, No Limits Dance Crew recitals, the semester I spent abroad in Germany, my extremely influential co-op experience, and the day to day happenings with the truly amazing people I’ve built relationships with over these past 4 years… I just can’t pick one.

Fun Fact: I once met Selena Gomez at Greatest Bar in Boston and we talked about sharing the same name. Pretty great experience if I must say so myself.

Name: Megan Carroll

Year: 3rd Year

Hometown: Bridgewater, New Jersey

Major: Political Science and International Affairs

Organization you represent: Resident Student Association

Why you are running: I love Northeastern and I spend a lot of my time serving our community as part of RSA, so I’m excited to have the chance to showcase that while having tons of fun! I also just want everyone to show off their Husky pride, especially during Homecoming Week, and I think I can inspire people to do that.

Best Northeastern Memory: My best memory from my time at NU so far is from this past weekend, actually! As part of RSA, I had a large role in putting Husky Hunt together, and I volunteered during the Hunt to run challenges and make sure everyone was having a good time. The best part was when we had teams come to the RSA office in Stetson West and impress us with their talents – it was amazing to see what students came up with, and to see competing teams cheering each other on. Overall it was an awesome event to be a part of, but watching students show off their diverse and wonderful talents was really awe-inspiring.

Fun Fact: I once rode a camel in India

Name: Carol Dugandzic

Year: Junior

Hometown: Suffern, NY

Major: Physical Therapy

Organization you represent: Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority

Why you are running: I am running for the experience and to spread husky pride during Homecoming week.  I’ve been in the audience at all of the Homecoming events since a freshman and as much as becoming queen would be an honor,  I’m more excited to get to know people from other organizations and help stir up some excitement for Homecoming week!

Best Northeastern Memory: Last winter when Nemo hit Boston I loved going to campus and participating in the huge school wide snow ball fight

Fun Fact: In October I qualified to run the Boston marathon in 2015!

Name: Corinne Iannitto

Year: Senior

Hometown: Clinton, NJ

Major: Marketing

Organization you represent: I’m running independently

Why you are running: Homecoming is my favorite week of the year and I have made it a big part of my Northeastern experience. I was on the Homecoming committee for three years and decided, for my senior year, I would run for Queen. I am involved all over campus, most notably in Kappa Delta Sorority, but I also sit on the Student Involvement Board, the Senior Gift Drive Committee, I was a D’Amore-McKim School of Business freshman mentor this past summer and have been involved in Panhellenic and LEAD360.

Best Northeastern Memory: Meeting Russell Brand when he was our 2011 Homecoming Comedian – he smelled really nice.

Fun Fact: I’m just under 5 feel tall!

Name: Claire Morrow

Year: Senior

Hometown: Denver, CO

Major: Human Services

Organization you represent: Kappa Kappa Gamma

Why you are running: I am running for homecoming queen because I can’t think of a more perfect way to end my time at Northeastern, by representing an organization that made my 4 years here incredible while showing my pride for a school that has given me so much.

Best Northeastern Memory: Having the opportunity to co-op abroad and come back to campus 6 months later and still be right at home.

Fun Fact: I can name all 54 countries in Africa.

Name: Marissa Kellner

Year: Senior

Hometown: Royalston, MA

Major: Organizational Communications, Minor in Business Administration

Organization you represent: Kappa Delta Sorority

Why you are running: Attending Northeastern has been the best decision of my life. It has given me so many opportunities. Some of the more obvious ones, coop and study abroad, but also the opportunity to become a leader within my own Panhellenic Chapter (Kappa Delta). I’ve also become a tour guide through Husky Ambassadors, getting to show my love to NU to potential students. Nu has also given me the chance to live in my favorite city! Everything I do in my life stems from opportunities NU has presented me and ultimately revolves around my love to three things; Northeastern, Boston and Kappa Delta. I encompass what it means to be a Husky and what it means to truly represent Northeastern while on co-op, while studying or traveling in different countries as well as to prospective students. Go Huskies!!

Best Northeastern Memory: It did not happen on campus but studying abroad in both Rome and Prague.. too many NU memories to pick from! If I had to choose one from Boston though I would say the first time that I ate at Chicken lous.

Fun Fact: I once sat next to Timbaland at a restaurant. He was wearing two different shoes.

Name: Tessie Mernick

Year: 2014

Hometown: Darien, CT

Major: Environmental Studies

Organization you represent: Sigma Sigma Sigma

Why you are running: I like to lead by example, and I believe I am a very optimistic and happy person. I want to spread my happiness around the Northeastern community!

Best Northeastern Memory: When the Red Sox won the world series, no doubt. It brought the whole NU community together.

Fun Fact: I feed the penguins at the New England Aquarium!

Name: Breegan Kelly Houlihan

Year: Senior

Hometown: Nahant, MA

Major: Biology

Organization you represent: Sigma Delta Tau

Why you are running: I was nominated by my chapter and want to represent the lovely ladies of Sigma Delta Tau

Best Northeastern Memory: Opening my bid from Sigma Delta Tau

Fun Fact: I don’t eat fruits or vegetables.

Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!