“Malignant,” 2021: Female Representation in Horror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

*Trigger Warning* talk of murder and abuse

Since the beginning of cinema, women have often been portrayed as the “damsel in distress,” stereotype in horror films. A phrase known as “Hitchcock Hysteria,” is often used in association with this notion. The phrase talks of female characters in Alfred Hitchcock films who are depicted as hysterical women that are the target of the villain or the monster, and/or need male heroes to save them. Examples include Janet Leigh’s character Marion in “Psycho”-1960, Tippi Hedren’s character Melanie in “The Birds”-1963, and more. Prior to these films, this archetype had permeated cinema from the very beginning. In the 1920 German silent film, “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari”, the character of Jane Olsen, portrayed by Lil Dagover, is characterized in this manner; a vulnerable and emotional woman in need of someone else to help her out of danger.

However, more modern horror films have stepped down from this stereotype and introduced female characters that are the heroines themselves. A significant example is Nancy Thompson, portrayed by Heather Langenkamp, in the 1984 classic “Nightmare on Elm Street.” As Nancy and her friends are tormented with terrifying dreams of a serial killer, she takes it upon herself to put an end to the ordeal. She is determined to know the reasoning behind these nightmares, and eventually gathers the courage to defeat the evil behind them. This character is incredibly progressive for female characters in horror films as it illustrates Nancy as the overall heroine of the story, radiating courage and commitment to do what’s right. 

With that being said, the 2021 horror film, “Malignant” has a female character in a starring role. Therefore, let’s see if this character sticks to the old-fashioned archetype of a damsel in distress or the more modern and progressive portrayal of a female heroine, without any spoilers, of course.

“Malignant” tells the story of Madison Mitchell, portrayed by Annabelle Wallis, a young woman terrorized by nightmares of gruesome murders. Initially, Madison is immensely vulnerable in the film. While living with an emotionally and physically abusive husband, she suddenly begins experiencing vivid dreams of murder. These two notions make her be perceived as defenseless and weak. Gradually, people around her deem her to be insane, however she begins to believe the dreams to be real. Despite what everyone around her is saying, she is determined to figure out the truth behind her nightmares. 

Once she uncovers the said truth, Madison garners sufficient knowledge and strength to fight back. Despite all of the pain and suffering she is going through, she remains strong and courageous, eventually overpowering her demons. Madison takes control over the force that made her life and the lives of her loved ones a living hell. By the end of the film, she becomes the heroine of the story; conquering evil with integrity and persistence.

In “Malignant”, Madison experiences an immense character arch. Initially, she is perceived as fragile and vulnerable. However, over the course of the film, viewers see her bravery and courage seep through, as her harrowing experience ultimately makes her stronger and powerful. Fundamentally, she is an ideal representation of a strong female character.

Going away from the analysis of Madison’s character, “Malignant” is a great film overall. Incredibly original with great acting, cinematography and writing; it is perfect for a late-night horror movie experience. It is available to watch streaming on HBO Max until October 10th or in movie theaters.

Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)